Battery buying

Who's cheap at the moment? Any offers going on? Just got a price from National Tyres for a Starlet battery - £72. FRO!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I usually buy from GSF and expect to pay £30 for a Bosch calcium battery.

Reply to
Doki

Local auto factor. Halfrauds and any of the national chains tend to want the sort of price you ask. My local factor (trading online as buypartsby) ask £30-35 depending on the battery - County Batteries are about the same price.

Reply to
asahartz

My local chappy, who is usually very reasonable, bordering on cheap, quoted £62+vat, which surprised me.

Ta, I'll ask around more locally.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Maybe not a surprise given lead has tripled in price in the last few months.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ahh... that'll be it then. Didn't know that.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

All scrap is very high right now. I got over £40 for a trailerful of old car parts, mostly very rusty, and £80 for the ally bits of an old caravan. I heard copper was something like £20k a tonne.

Reply to
asahartz

What's the form for taking scrap to a dealer? Does it need to be a certain weight, or to be cut up, cleaned of non-metal or what?

I have a couple of old car doors to get rid of but I doubt if I'll get anything else sizeable for a while...

Reply to
PC Paul

General scrap, they'll take just about anything. You don't get as much cash as you do for clean stuff, but it gets rid of it all for you, you get a few quid in your pocket and you're helping to recycle. They'll usually take fairly small weights, though I tend to pile it up until I have a trailerful.

Non-ferrous is another matter; it needs to be clean to get best price, but they will take small weights - I've seen people take in just a plastic sackful.

Reply to
asahartz

doors would go in as 'light iron', locally that is 80 quid a tonne. just find a local scrap merchant and go along, you may be asked for identity (probably not) so take a driving licence or passport

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sounds like a good plan. Cheers both.

Reply to