Warranty / Shockabsorber update.

I posted a few days back about my 10 month old Mazda 6 and worn shock absorber. The garage have agreed that it is defective and will replace it under warranty. However they say they will only change the defective one.

Is it worthwhile trying to pursue that they replace both from a safety aspect, as all shock absorber manufacturers state they should be replaced in pairs. Similar to brakes.

Cheers.

Reply to
Frank

Frank (no@thanks) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Abso-bloody-lutely.

Reply to
Adrian

Is it worn or defective?

You won't get anything on the standard warranty. You'd be better to contact Mazda customer services.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It is defective. Oil or whatever is in it, is spilling out everywhere. The inner wheel arch is saturated. Every wee bump feels like a massive pot hole!

Cheers

Reply to
Frank

Yes, but this is because they generally wear out rather than fail. You'd normally expect shock absorbers to last 50,000 miles plus. So the other one is likely to be in perfect condition.

You can buy shocks singly, but not brake pads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[Snipped Text]

Hmm, that's just an opinion though, that kind of failure could just be a worn seal. Although I agree at 10 months (I take it that is from new, and that you just haven't had the car 10 months?) that would indicate a defective seal or shaft (unless you've done 80k, or something daft).

If it's done a low mileage, even average at 10k you don't stand much chance of getting two done unless the other could be proven to be defective.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

15K miles on a 54 plate. I don't mind if only one is done. I was just concerned that for safety reasons it might have an adverse effect if only one was changed.

Incidentally I phoned 3 Mazda dealers today and asked how much for one fitted shock absorber. I told them the car was 10 months old and had done about 15K miles. I then asked if it was safe to fit these on their own or should they be fitted in pairs.

2 of the garages said that fitting them in pairs was a must!! The other garage picked up on the fact that it should be covered under warranty. F
Reply to
Frank
[Snipped Text]

I doubt it really. The best way is to have it done, give it a try and see what you think. If it handles bad, then complain.

Righto.

Yes, that's what we'd advise usually.

I'm amazed that a dealer could actually not even pick up on that.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt