Ticking sound at startup..

Hi,

My brother has a Golf 1.8 Driver 1991 model and just recently it has started making a loud ticking noise on startup which goes away after you give it a small rev and doesn't come back..

Oil pressure is fine, the light goes out straight away when starting..

I initially would have thought it was a big end knock but then I would have expected it to always be there and not to go away after the first rev..

Do these models have hydraulic lifters? Could one be sticking or maybe worn?

Would a thicker oil help?

Thanks

Reply to
WipeOut

hi

probably going away once the oil gets in the head and into the tappets.

big end knock is more of well, a knock. stand with your ear close too the head while someone starts it, you'll know if it's coming from the head.

not sure, someone else will know.

if its manual, they may need adjusted, although id suspect they are hydraulic. take them out, give them a good squeeze to drain of oil, then replace

id have said a slightly thinner oil. whats in it just now?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Sound like the hydraulic tappets. My 87 1.8 Passat (same engine) did this when the family first bought it - with around 30,000 miles on the clock. Dad had it flushed a couple of times and other things done - but the tappets always rattled on start-up.

They still rattled when I got rid of the car in 2000 with some 170,000 miles on the clock...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

If the rattle is only at start up, then it could be unimportant. My Saab

9000 usually rattles from tappet noise at start up. The owner's manual says that this is of no importance as long as the rattle disappears within 5 minutes.
Reply to
Johannes