Exhaust manifold removal - BX 16v (Pug Mi16)

Any hints or tips for removing the exhaust manifold on my '89 BX 16v? By getting the car up on ramps I can get to the lower set of five nuts/studs, but the upper four are buried "under" the head and behind some coolant pipes that go across the back of the engine.

The engine is tilted back at such an angle it is nearly impossible to get to the nuts from above. Any ideas...the gasket is blowing so the job *has* to be done :-/

Thanks

Reply to
Clive

Clive,

Did the head gasket on my BX diesel admitedly different engine - but same enginebay and tilted backwards transverse engine problem etc. The only solution I found was to remove the three nuts and separate the downpipe from exhaust manifold (admitedly this is a bitch of a job as well - but is possible), remove all the cooling pipes, head bolts etc and lift (with an assistant) the head with manifolds attached. With head on a bench it is possible to remove the manifold/head bolts - but using 3/8 drive sockets and long reach extension bars..

Hope this helps

Sydney

Reply to
sydney

Easiest to remove exhaust downpipe, remove the coolant pipes that run round the back of the engine and you should be able to get the manifold off. Last did one of these 12 years ago though when I was working for Citroen. A complete arse of a job, even with a hydraulic lift! You'll need a 3/8 socket set and a long extention bar..

Good luck!

Mike

Reply to
Mike P