Condensation in headlights

Hi

I have condensation in both OS headlights of an 06 X type Jaguar, and noticed it soon after a main dealer had replaced both dipped beam bulbs.

They checked fitting of the rear caps on the lights and turned the lights on for 30 mins, and told me that this should solve the problem. The next day it was a bad as ever. I'm familiar generally with causes and solutions to condensation, but lacking on specific knowledge in this context. I note a tube on the back cap of the dipped beam, which looks like some sort of ventilation valve.

I'm unsure as to accepting assurances that its linked to the weather and should improve as it gets warmer (the NS lights are fine).

Can anyone advise on the likley cause and remediation?

Thanks

Howard

Reply to
HowardB

In article , HowardB writes

I wouldn't, I'd get it fixed pronto. If the condensation is left it will damage the reflectors which will discolour, reducing the light output, and it'll then be an MOT failure (i.e. new headlights = £££)

If you are sure it only started after bulb replacement it is something they have not done right. Make a scene.

Once they have 'fixed' it and we get some warm weather, leave the car outside for a day with the back covers off the headlights to allow any remaining moisture to dissipate.

Years ago, a friend had a Renault 5 with condensation in the headlights. He tried a lot of things to no effect, then one day we were looking at it, and I tapped the headlight glass with a knuckle. It fell out onto the ground. The rubbery adhesive (almost like a gasket) between the glass to the metal headlight body had failed.

Doubt that's the prob in your case though.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On my old Rover 213 I took the lamp out and put it in the oven. Then someone came to the door and it ended up too long in the oven and the plastic distorted - trip to scrapyard followed.

Reply to
John

I had same peoblem in C5 headlamp. I had put the plastic cover on the bulb holder slightly wrong, leaving a small gap. I took the cover off, took the bulb out and pointed a hair drier into the headlamp to dry it out. Took about 10 mins. Regards

Reply to
petetop

HowardB explained :

An air drier directed into the lens through the lamp socket will quickly dry it out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

careful with the heat source, I once aimed a hot air gun in a condensated headlight and the glass promptly cracked, so use a low power hair dryer not too close to the bulb hole.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've just replaced the n/s headlamp on my 3 series because of condensation. I've tried everything to sort it, dropping a little sachet of Silica gel on a string in, hair dryer etc. The best trick I've found is taking the bulb cover off the back of the lamp, covering the lens with a black t-shirt and leaving full beam on for 10 minutes or so. It'll start to clear after a while, but don't expect to clear it all in one go - I tried that yesterday, left the lights on for about 40 minutes and cracked the light unit. It would have been fine if I'd let it cool down between drying sessions, but I didn't. Cost me £15 for a replacement light unit from a scrapyard and a couple of hours messing about. It won't be that cheap for an x-type...

Reply to
Pete M

In article , Mrcheerful writes

not surprised. you're talking 250-400C in a narrow stream f air there.

Remember when people used to cut bottles by filling them with oil then dipping them in a pot of boiling water?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson