Calibra high oil pressure.

For my sins I own a P reg 4x4 Turbo Calibra.

It hasn't been used for a few weeks, since I've been away but it now needs an MOT, so I took it out for a 1/2 hour run to clear the cobwebs out. I noticed that the oil pressure is reading just over 5 bar on the gauge, it drops to 2/3 when idling. It's always run fairly high (about 4 / 4.5 bar), but I was worried when it got this high.

It's a fairly low mileage car (30k), and I get it serviced (oil change etc.) every 6ish months.

What could the high pressure be a symptom of?

cheers for any advice.

Matt

Reply to
Boxington Headmaker

average gauges are not actually very accurate, so just take it as a guide, sounds ok to me though. I assume it is an electric gauge, so the new reading might be a sender fault or a slight voltage change, as long as it isn't overcharging then just ignore it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

What do you mean by 'overcharging'? Too much oil?

Cheer, Box

Reply to
Boxington Headmaker

No he means the alternator voltage, as it is an electrical oil pressure gauge he means that it might read high if the voltage is high but i dont think this would happen as most gauges run through a regulator that keeps the voltage constant at about 10 volts.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Um, okay, the voltage should be okay, it's been on a proper trickle charger whilst I've been away. As long as nobody's gone "My god don't drive that... It'll blow up." Then I guess I'm okay - I'll wait and see what happens.

cheers.

Reply to
Boxington Headmaker

..which has got absolutely bugger all to do with anything. He is on about the ALTERNATOR charging.

I suggest you take your car to a garage until you learn something.

Reply to
Conor

Hi there "Conor"

And be a proper mechanic like you with his own crayons sorry spanners and stuff.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Ummm, part of the learning process is asking about things you don't know, and hoping to get a sane answer. Even on usenet.....

Reply to
Taz