Calling Renault 5 experts (carb problems)

I have a Renault 5 1100 with Zenith 32 carb 83k on the clock. The car seems to start and idle ok with choke. However if I try and reduce the choke the engine stops.

I have dismantled and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner.

I have tried unscrewing the mixture screw to increase the fuel but this doesn't seem to help. The mixture screw is very difficult adjust when the carb is in the car.

The car also runs on a bit after I switch the engine off.

Any suggestions on what to try.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Anti dieseling switch or jet..

Reply to
JK

It may be my failing memory but didn't these have trouble with the gasket twixt the carb and the manifold? Some sort of warping going on?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Air leak after carb making the mixture reaching the cylinders weak?

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell

Replace the rubber gasket between carb and manifold, might also be worth ya while getting a spare acrhb from scrappy for bits and to test on after cleanup. If its not tthe gasket i wud be the carb is on its after life and needs replacing, i just junked one and got another for £10 from scrappies and it was fine for ages, then winter came and i got it tuned properly for £25 and the thing was even better!

Reply to
Will

The carb looks to my eye fine. So I think I'll check for air leaks first. I didn't find much dirt or anything when I cleaned it. Gasket between the carb and manifold also looks good.

Could it be the fuel pump not delivering enough pressure?

Although the car drove home fine with full choke I could do about 40mph and 50 if I pumped the throttle.

hmmm

message

Reply to
David Cawkwell

I had those symptoms once when I lost the idle mixture screw from the carb but it ran fine once I put some duck tape over it for years :)

Reply to
Will

I found that the idle jet is actually missing when comparing it with the picture in the haynes manual. I have plugged the hole with the top of a bic pen and made a hole in this with a hot pin.

I didn't think this could affect the carb so much although I haven't tried it back on the car yet.

Reply to
David Cawkwell