Cam Belt Age . . .

[...]

Wow, who knew?

2.7 litres and only 88 bhp would not persuade me it would be suitable for any car I would want to own however!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That could give adequate perormance for an ordinary car.

Reply to
MrCheerful

FSVO adequate!

With such a large capacity, and a rev limit of just 3,000, I guess it would be like driving an old-tech diesel.

I wonder what fuel consumption would be like?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It would be quite smooth and relaxed. Loads of torque.

Reply to
johannes

And now tyre pressure sensors are mandatory on new cars since January 2012! Most of these types have on board battery which is non-replaceable, supposed to last 100k or 10years. It's an MOT item and would need complete dealer replacemnt of unit when it fails, or scrap the car. But 100k, 10y is nothing for a genuine old saab. Now we have throwaway cars...

Reply to
johannes
[...]

Not my sort of drive at all then!

Chris (Who hates diesels)

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Me too, I don't like the diesel grunt.

But there have been petrol cars tuned for torque: Fiat Croma CHT 2L 90 Hp, 50mpg. Yes I had that one for 10 years. BMW 525e (eta) 2.7L 125hp, 3300 rpm at 100mph. Also very economical.

Reply to
johannes
[...]

Tyre centres can replace them at much lower cost than a dealer.

Or any other make made this century.

We've had them since the 1950's. It's the only way that they can be cheap enough for mass market affordability.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Older anti-freeze also encourage corrosion. Modern one inhibit it - but should be changed at the appropriate service intervals to maintain that protection.

Well, on most cars things like the alternator and so on can last the life of the engine.

I've always been curious why waterpumps don't on at least quite a few makes. Perhaps because people are used to them failing, it's a nice little earner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Question on that if I may. Mates 08 SL63 has a warning on the dash along the lines of 'Alternator / Charge. Stop car' that looked like it was down to either: a bad 'aux' battery (big one in the boot) or bad half of a split charge alternator not charging the 'aux' battery but charging the 'Starting' battery ok?

As they pulled the old battery out I believe I noticed some sulphation on the end cells so it's possible the battery has been in a low state of charge for some time.

(With hindsight) the only clue might have been that the remote fob wouldn't open the car after it had been left for a couple of weeks (but would close it after being opened with the key) but generally would open it again after it had been run for about 20 mins.

It's currently in Mercedes having a new alternator fitted (£700+, ouch).

So, is it possibly that a 'bad' battery could kill the alternator or should there have been fuses / regulation to protect against that?

Someone also suggested that the fob was inductively recharged when it was docked in the ignition hole?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

With a suitable auto box it would be excellent. With the improvements in ignition and injection coupled with a long stroke to let everything burn and low rotation speed (again to let it all burn) it should be quite reasonable economy despite the litreage, presumably it is also a very light engine for its size.

Ford Pilot could knock up 20mpg and performance was quite reasonable. last time I drove one, I was driving it hard against a straight 8 buick using the traffic lights on the A127 as Christmas trees.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not so sure. You need a decent combustion chamber shape and side valves tend to dictate what this will be.

Plenty of very basic designs changed from side to overhead valves round about WW2, and in every case OHV gave considerably better MPG. Even with the increased performance.

The old flat head V8 may have been a pleasant enough engine, but never renown for economy or performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IIUC The reason for the change was the higher octane fuels that arrived then, allowing increased compression ratios.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Plenty of OHV designs before WW2. Morris, etc even had OHC - before reverting to side valves on some. And a small Ford engine limped on to the '60s with side valves. Simply, I'd guess, because it was cheaper to make.

Big snag with side valves is they're all too easy to cook. I doubt you could make one even today that would give the sort of mileage without overhaul that is the norm now. Even the Rolls IOE engines with very expensive valves would cook the exhausts long before the inlets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)