New Cam belt Problems

I have just fitted a new cam belt to my 1988 Defender 90, 2.5 TD, I took great care in getting it to top dead centre, used correct tool to pin fuel pump, but could not locate the "Alleged" flywheel locking point, and therefore could lock in top dead centre. Therefore, I ensured that the arrows were correctly lined up the TDC marks on gears in the flywheel housing. I replaced the cam belt tensioner at same time, and set to required torque.

After a great deal of trying, the bloody thing finally started again, but I have now got a very serious problem with white smoke. It doesn't matter how much I adjust the fuel pump, the amount of smoke does not change.

Other than the obvious , that I have completely cocked up the timing (I have removed and replaced and adjusted the belt again) I am now at a loss.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, once you have stopped falling about laughing :-)

Reply to
Andy Seymour

I just did the cambelt on a Disco 200TDI today. Don't know how similar a TD is, but my book said to check the fuel pump setting after pre-tensioning the cambelt and rotating the camshaft twice (even though it was locked previously). So obviously in some cases the fuel pump needs a slight adjustment after the belt has been replaced.

Don't know if it applies to you, though.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

similar a TD

pre-tensioning the

timing

Reply to
andy.pseymour

Did it myself on a diesel cavalier. Sounds like the timing is one notch out - the white is unburnt fuel in the smoke. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Oh dear! I wouldn't say it... but you know what it is! Always mark the cam, injection pump and crank pullies to the engine with tipex so when you put the belt back on you can check everything is still timed up. Yep, stick dowls in or use timing tools ect but always mark it too! After all... it was running fine timed up as it was befor the belt was swaped. Then, when its all back to gether, turn the engine over by hand a couple of times and check everything still lines up and the belt tention is still ok. Unfortunatly hinesight is a wonderfull thing :S Toby

Reply to
TVS

Are you sure you havent knocked something else in the process?. Its worth double checking everything round the engine for it being properly affixed and tight where necessary.

Having just done the head gasket on my saab, and had the dissy off to replace it for one that wasnt dodgy, It wouldnt start. When i double checked all the air pipes to the turbo that i had had to remove to get the head off i found one that i hadnt tightened. That was enough to stop it sucking air through the right places and moving the metering flap and giving me enough petrol to run.

Reply to
Tom Woods

only issue here is, its a new belt, otherwise good points. and i have to say in hinesight on this one, leave it alone, heh heh, next time i will know better of course????? Andy

Reply to
andy.pseymour

timing