Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Learn to quote.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But apparently nothing the UK has to offer - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The robots don't care where they are. OTOH, look where the car makers have put up plants. No new ones in Detroit, New York, or California. Mexico has some.

How about a Hungary Mercedes

Ed Pawlowski

Thank god we don't have the killings other countries seem to suffer.

Reply to
Fredxx

You are working on it.

Try a little more diversity and you'll make the grade.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm with you. Repairing punctures was something I had to do as part of my trade. Even with the gear, it was a pain to do, especially truck and tractor tyres. At 65, I'm quite happy to pay someone much younger to do the job for me.

Reply to
Xeno

The robots may not care where they live but it still needs a large, mainly unskilled or semi-skilled workforce to feed them and to perform all the other tasks that currently cannot be assigned to robots.

The location of new assembly plants probably has more to do with who can give the biggest grant or subsidy in the guise of regional aid for deprived areas or just a government willing to forego taxes in order to create jobs in n area.

I doubt if there are many car factories these days where a whole car is manufactured on the premises. Often engines and gearboxes are manufactured in a single plant and then shipped worldwide and the same item ends up in many competing brands. In the past I have seen user reviews where they claim that the power-train in brand X is a lot better than that in brand Y whereas they are exactly the same.

It's much the same in other industries. How many companies actually make the LCD screens for large screen TVs? How many consumer items are just badged? Here in the UK well known brand names have been purchased to allow the brand badge to be used on no-name electronics or other goods. I'm aware of at least one item of electronics where the identical item was sold under 4 different brand names, all at different prices, to cater for those with brand loyalty and to fleece those who believe that band A is better quality than brand B, even though brand B as an independent company went bust a decade before.

Reply to
alan_m

We are getting there. The new weapon of choice seems to be throwing acid.

Those carrying out attacks can be charged with Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) with intent which carries a maximum life sentence.

The best way to avoid these attacks in the UK is don't get involved with domestic violence and don't attend any nightclub where there only claim to fame is that they are frequented by Z list celebrities.

Reply to
alan_m

Speaking of ingenuity, check out this redneck rear rotor surfacing technique at home, with a grinder and while the rotors are spinning.

I guess it works for driven wheels only though.
I guess this is how rednecks do the non-driven wheels.

ultred ragnusen

Judging by those videos you don't need to ban guns in the USA - just ban power tools!

Reply to
alan_m

That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!

Reply to
Xeno

Power tools are extremely useful, I use them a lot.

Just *ban idiots* from using power tools.

Reply to
Xeno

Or even ban Americans !!!

Reply to
Graham J

You need a smaller but very skilled workforce to maintain and repair the robots.

Reply to
Peter Hill

so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ? kwikfit !!!!

Reply to
critcher

are you all dickheads ?????

Reply to
critcher

That's the UK out then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get through the border checks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than Korean?

Reply to
alan_m

Last night I did all six brake sets (12 pads/shoes) on a German car:

The fronts mic'd greater than 0.800 inches so I kept the rotors.
But the rears were below 0.7200 inches & they were edge lipped:
You never know if a rotor will be below thickness specification until you measure it, so since I didn't have a new set of rotors, I decided to try the redneck methods of truing them up, just for the learning experience.
One nice thing about doing all your own mechanical work on a car is you find stuff like this busted brake line, which you won't know if a mechanic will find because they don't spend the time to look around that you might.

ultred ragnusen