Car for sale with strange registration number

Excuse me for this not being a maintenence question, but i have been to view a car for sale which was advertised as X reg (2000). When i got to the garage i saw that the registration number was GCZ8412. Why has the car got such a different number to normal registrations and how would i know if it really was an equivalent X reg? I know i could have asked the garage salespersons but i am wary that they might fob me off with some reasons i don't understand.

Reply to
Rob

It's a Northern Irish plate. I've got one on my car.

All very tacky, but mine is an exceptionally tacky car ;-)

Nothing to worry about - some people think it makes their car look more expensive than it is.

They're only £250 to buy, and all pretty pointless.

Check the registration date to ensure it tallys with a 2000X, and don't worry.

You can always change the plate (for free) later.

Reply to
SteveH

That's a Nortern Ireland registration. You'd have to check the logbook to know the answer

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As per the other replies - the plate is a Northern Irish plate, which a lot of people buy as they think they look decent, but in most people's opinions they're horribile and tacky, with a vague exception to the ones that do spell a name i.e. DAZ, but only a very slight exception. They look cheap, full stop. NI plates that really don't mean anything personal are incredibly pointless (I've seen quite a few with "OIL" as the three letters - why the hell would anyone want that on their car????!).

Anyway, check the log book (otherwise known as a registration document), and look at the blue section. Down the right hand side, about half way down, will be various information about the car, including make, model, engine size, etc etc....., and the date of first registration. X reg ran from September 2000 through to the end of February 2001, so if yours is a 2000 model it will be between September and December 2000. If the date is in that range, then all's fine.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That will give you the date of first registration, if you take the "Vin" number off of the vehicle identification plate, a Ford dealer will tell you the date of manufacture. I don't know whether they charge for this.

Theres loads round here - most work for Severn Fuels - hence OIL...

Reply to
Ben Organ

Yes, but it's the date of first registration that's the important one as far as ascertaining whether it was (or would have been) an "X" registration to start with. The date of manufacture is almost irrelevant as far as that goes - often cars are sitting in a field or compound for months on end (maybe as much as a year?) before they're first registered (or in a dealer forecourt).

Although it would be nice to know exactly when the car was manufactured, so one could see how long this delay actually was.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Oswald Ian Lomax?

Peter Hill

Check the age of the car on the registration document before starting any negotiations. It is not unheard of for a garage to tell you the wrong age, then deny it later after you have taken the car home and got round to reading the documents.

Reply to
DP

One of the domestic heating oil companies round my way has 'OILxxxx' as the reg. on it's fleet of tankers. That's a cunning use :)

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell