Car going up

Can you give your stories on the following please folks!

When you've had to lift a car on the driveway outside the house to work underneath,

How did you do it? Any hastle involved ? Whats your favourite kit for the job? Whats your most hated kit for the job? Have you ever damaged a car lifting it?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Reply to
techtalk

trolly jack to jack up the car. axle stands to sit the car on after jacking it up. never work under a car with out the axle stands.

as for the best place for jacking up, and where to put the axle stands. depends on the car.

i jacked up a rover 416 when i had it, then put a axle stand under the boxed chassis under the passenger seat, and the chassis just squashed flat, the chassis box section had no rot to it, it just was not strong enough to hold the weight of the car.

Reply to
banjo

I once jacked up my Cinquecento so far on one side it very nearly rolled over.

Favourite method: ramps.

Least favourite: trolley jack and axle stands. I don't trust them.

Reply to
SteveH

iy steve , ramps are good, unless you intend working on the wheel areas. :)

Reply to
banjo

make sure you dont jack it up on tarmac !!! i had to go and rescue one once as the wieght of the vehicle pushed the axle stand into the tarmac.

Reply to
reg

I've never heard of axle stands collapsing providing they have good feet, and are on a firm surface. I have 2 pairs. I welded 2" dia MS disks on the feet of both. Many seem to be made from angle iron, only slightly flared to give them feet. OK on concrete, but anything softer, asphalt, hard ground etc, and they can dig in. Im quite happy to get under ny car with my modified ones. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Even with 2 solidly located stands, I always feel the car could topple off them when struggling with particularly stubborn bolts.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
MrCheerful

Why? It sounds like you're going to pinch them and use them on your own website.

Reply to
malc

Engine hoist. And Stanley knife to cut out the seatbelts. Tie seatbelt webbing around solid bit of car and up she goes.

Wot me? Never.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Ramps.

Anti-skid mat.

Nothing more fun than getting best part of the car up almost to the top of the ramps, to watch then shoot off and the car come "crashing" down. (not quite, but scared the bejesus out of me)

Had a router anti slip mat, rolled that out and placed the car ramps on that, worked perfectly.

Reply to
Mike Dodd