Bought a dodgy car from garage

OK. Bought the car from a small garage and the only warranty was a major parts warranty within one month. Nothing in writing but they said they'd fixed any major items that went wrong in the first month. An example they used was that indicator bulbs were not covered but if the gearbox fell out they'd sort it.

Anyway, after 1 day have had loads of problems. Car is'nt running right (missing(, remote CL doe'nt work, AC doesnt work, Elec windows are a bit flaky.

Where do I reckon I stand with them?

Of course, I intend to back tomorrow for a quiet word. (Closed today - Easter Sunday)

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

I believe they have to provide a warranty under the Sale of Goods Act now. Steve Knight will probably arrive and tell you what's what in a bit (he's a car dealer himself, and knows his stuff).

Reply to
Doki

How much did you pay for it. Didn't you test drive it? Didn't a 1 month warranty sound a bit suspicious?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

Yes, but as I understand it there's a degree of proportionality to it. If you paid £5000 for it then you'd expect 'em to be working properly, if you paid £50 for it then a court would be unlikely to uphold many complaints.

Reply to
Guy King

properly,

I don't know much about the law, but if it was enforced for everything then there would be a large increase of scrapped cars. No garage would sell a car for less than =A3500, maybe more, because faults wouldn't be worth repairing.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

But this is what's happening. A trader can't sell a car that's not fit for purpose to the general public. That probably means at least MOT standard. (unless it's sold marked as defective or scrap). Sometimes traders masquerade as private sellers to avoid such responsibilities.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What is it, and how much did you pay?

Reply to
Adrian

Things like CL and EL windows can be quite essential for fitness of use though, as I once discovered when I was very short of time for getting to a job interview had to park my car in a dodgy car park...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Fixed the EL window; it was just a corroded fuse. Didn't get the job LOL!

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

As with all things in the law, the realms of 'reasonableness' apply.

As it is, the warranty is crap, as a dealer they *have* to give 90 days warranty. This of course only covers the vehicle for fitness for use, or sold as advertised kind of thing. The warranty is pretty standard though, no warranty covers wear and tear stuff.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I'm beginning to see a pattern here!

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

=A33500.

Yes. I did test drive it.

Do you check every bulb and every item when you test drive a car ?

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

getting

Exactly. It was advertised as with AC, Remote CL (neither of which work) and Elec windows (not wroking right).

Also, its not driving properly. (Found out why - large hole in the exhaust. This was fine when I test drove it).

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

Interesting since they're qouting a month....

Would you day Exhaust gone after 1 day is wear and tear ???

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

Wouldn't check every bulb - but then bulbs are somewhat trivial items.

However at that price and from that type of garage, I would check everything else - most definitely would check central locking,aircon,wipers,heating,electric mirrors if applicable etc etc. Its really not particularly difficult - all these things can be checked very quickly

Reply to
DougP

At that price most garages before any recentish legislation were offering 3 months warranty. With the amount that's wrong either make them fix it or demand your money back. If you belong to the RAC or the AA then their legal department may be able to help you. Or park your car opposite the garage with a big notice in the window.

Reply to
Malc

Once bought a =A3500 car from a small dealer with a brand new mot and the= =20 water bottle was bone dry , I reckon all the dealer done was phone his=20 garage mate who done the mots the registration number .

--=20

(buy or sell mot failures)

Reply to
SOR

at THAT price i would be contacting the trading standards people and chatting to the firm about "negative publicity in the local media"...

Yes. I did test drive it.

Do you check every bulb and every item when you test drive a car ?

Reply to
MrJolly

I check the windows... and the air con, even on something under a grand, that is, if they claim it works.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Yes, although I'm not sure whether signing up to the one month warranty over-rides the 90 statutory.

No, that's what the 90 days is for as a rule, but all the circumstances need to be considered. Would it be reasonable to expect this taking into account the condition the car is in that you've bought? Not having seen it myself it would be hard to comment, I only mentioned the wear and tear in response to your comments about bulbs etc.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt