Points to Electronic conversion

I am looking to convert my 65 mustang points to an electronic ignition and have found the Pertronix Ignitor II and the CraneCams XR-I

Any comments or advice on making a choice?

Thanks!

Michel.

Reply to
MJT

Wound Up

The Ignitor II has a bad rep for reliability. Mine fried after about

500 miles, and unlike points when they go they go without warning. The Ignitor I on other hand has a better rep (altho it is also known to crap out), and it's quite a bit cheaper.

180 Out

Reply to
one80out

Interesting. I might add I have an original Ignitor. No problems for

50,000 miles.
Reply to
Wound Up

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I put a Pertronix in mine a couple of years ago. It was very simple, only took about 20-30 minutes (including reading the instructions).

Reply to
.boB

wrote

I had an Ignitor II on my 'Chero and it worked great for about 500 miles, then nothing. Instant failure, glad I wasn't driving at the time it crapped out. I know a guy who was a Pertronix distributor here in Denver. He said that EVERY SINGLE IGNITOR II he'd sold in the region had been returned. The original Ignitor, from what I've heard is extremely reliable. I am considering the Crane conversion with the built in rev-limiter for my '69 though.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I. At the time, the II was just coming out, and I was too cheap to pay the extra bux for it.

Reply to
.boB

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Does anyone have any thoughts on Pertronix versus a full MSD setup (box, coil, and distributor) in terms of performance? I know the MSD costs a lot more.....

Scott

Spike wrote:

between

Reply to
Scott

The MSD system is excellent. It will be accurate to about 9K rpm, and create a strong accurate spark under heavy boost and with nitrous. Now, if that's the kind of engine you have, then you need to spend the big bux on it. However, I suspect none of that applies to you. So switching to a billet distributor with a control box, fancy coil, big wires, etc, will not change the performance of your engine. You can always pick up a few ponies with a better ignition curve, but there are cheaper ways to accomplish this. But it will make your wallet significantly lighter. And we know that less weight is always better :)

Reply to
.boB