Car mpg question

Tim+ explained :

I appreciate that, but soot is a good indicator.

I like driving diesels, I don't do city centres at all, preferring to make us of public transport in those situations. My car lives in the garage and behind locked gates, which itself serves as big deterrent to use it for short journeys.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

MrCheerful explained on 07/02/2017 :

I was very pleasantly surprised too, when they first appeared. Nicer for the passengers on the bus too, there is none of that rattling vibration as they pick up and drop passengers. I find that to be an horrible sensation, the low vibration as the engine ticks over slowly.

They also seem to have a much more rapid acceleration than the pure diesels.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Quite possible, that advantage is being exploited by the new KDD drive system, look it up, it is very sensible. I know it is not mainstream , but it will be, hopefully soon.

Reply to
MrCheerful

About 20 years ago Cambridge got a few CNG buses. They were massively better to follow around. Sadly they didn't continue the experiment.

Reply to
Clive George

No - it's because they are a Boris folly. Other makes of hybrid buses in London seem to manage OK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That explains your good MPG.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Agreed, but they deal admirably with the extra load of the coat and scarf that you probably need while scraping the ice off either vehicle anyway.

Disagree. Mine don't seem to use much more fuel when cold than warmed up, whereas petrol cars I've had have all had gluttonous thirst when cold. I'll quote again my experience on repeated short distances with cooling-off periods between : Diesel Disco or Jeep 30-40mpg vs Petrol Omega 7-9mpg. Identical journeys.

But the older, with less junk attached, the better.

I know I'm a ore about this.

I suppose no-one here is selling a 300tdi Disco with galvanised chassis?

Reply to
Bill

If you want a high performance diesel, you're stuck with all the attached 'junk'.

Is that so the wheels still stay on while the body falls off? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Don't even think about using a modern diesel for repeated short journeys as the DPF will never regenerate.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

One of my customers is having that trouble, his commute is 15 miles each way, but all slow, sub 30mph.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ideal for electric or plug in hybrid.

Also ideal for destroying one's mind :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Well, basically, yes. So that if "my man" has to do any welding he won't be doing it under the car and so will see the insides catching fire. :-)

Reply to
Bill

Both my vehicles are DPF-less and have proper spare wheels, deliberately.

Why DPF anyway, couldn't some sort of cyclonic device pack all the carbon bits into nice little blocks to take home and put in the log burner?

If I had any money, I'd be asking if anyone made an electric car with normally aspirated diesel generator to keep it charged up.

Reply to
Bill

Bill laid this down on his screen :

True, but a petrol engine is up to temperature within a mile or two, a diesel takes 10 to 20 times as long. So diesels consume more fuel than necessary over those miles. Additionally, they suffer extra wear and tear over those initial cold miles.

Mine has a fuel burpre-heatning heater fitted, to preheat the engine when it is really cold. I find it to be essential. It even cuts in after it has gained full temperature, if the car is not being driven hard enough or stuck in traffic.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

the ampera has a petrol powered generator.

Reply to
MrCheerful
[...]

Pretty much any post-2010 diesel needs a DPF to comply with Euro 5.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

How old is this "basic" Diesel? I don't think there has been a non-turbo Diesel on the European market for close to 10 years. There were VW SDI engines in some shit (Lupo/Polo) back in 2005 and PSA still made light commercial vehicles (Berlingo), some of which may have had side windows for wheelchair users. No one would be bragging about the power of a non turbo diesel, you were lucky to get over 35bhp/L and many were as low as

25 bhp/L.

At least not in Europe, you could have a new Chinese POS. Volkswagen Jetta Pionier

1.9 Litre 63 bhp (and this is a good N/A Diesel). It's really odd that over 100 people don't know that badges like Td6, TDI and TDCi means its a bloody TURBO Diesel and have listed them as non turbo.

Peter Hill

I'd expect about 44mpg, unless she is braking late for every bend.

Is that on rural roads with varying revs?

A diesel will probably get 15% better mpg, but not be worth while overall.

It is achieved by having very low fuel consumption when idling or cruising on a flat road - probably not your wife's journeys.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

40 miles to warm up? Would make them *very* unpopular for town use as the heater would never work.

A diesel doesn't need anything like the extra amount of fuel when cold than a petrol car

A rich petrol mixture tends to wash oil off the bores. Diesel is itself a lubricant - and in any case doesn't need a rich mixture when warming up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, she's very cautious ...

At least a third, but also single carrigeway 'A' roads and motorways. Almost no town driving.

Understood ...

Thanks.

Reply to
Graham J