Diesel question

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has has used propane injection as a milage booster. I have little knowledge about propane injection, other than ads and articles that proclaim tremendous milage gains. I don't believe the milage claims but think there may be enough of an increase to warrant a more detailed examination of propane injection.

No, I do not have a diesel at this time, but it never hurts to research options.

Please no "It doesn't work" comments unless there has been first hand use so you can back it up details of your experience.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any info that may come from it.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now

john

Interesting page. Thanks John.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:56:41 GMT, "john" snipped-for-privacy@shieldsup.lop sent into the ether:

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now

It may function, but it is not going to work like you imagine. It all boils down to the laws of physics, you can't change them.

To start with, you don't actually achieve better mileage, you simply replace some of the diesel fuel you would consume with a secondary fuel, propane. If you calculate both the diesel and propane into your mileage calculations you will see no increase in fuel mileage.

After you factor in all of the expense and hassle of buying and installing the propane system, then the added hassle and expense of filling the propane tank as well as your diesel tank, you will see that there cannot be any net savings.

You may well enjoy the novelty of doing this but the net results won't achieve any over all increase in total fuel mileage, or cost savings.

Good Luck with your project.

Reply to
351CJ

Banks Talks Tech

Propane & the Diesel

Another way to make power, but is it practical? By C.J. Baker Systems for injecting propane into turbo-diesels have been around for some time. The people that make and sell such systems claim that diesels only burn about 75 percent of the fuel that is injected into the cylinders, and that propane acts as a combustion catalyst to burn the remaining 25 percent of the fuel. This is a dubious claim, especially for newer, modern diesels. Direct injection and common rail fuel injection greatly improve the efficiency of turbo-diesel combustion while simultaneously reducing emissions. If 25 percent of the fuel were going out the exhaust unburned, modern diesels would have high hydrocarbon and particulate emissions. In truth, they have neither. The same cannot be said for older, indirect injection (IDI) diesels, which are less efficient than "modern" configurations, but it is doubtful that even IDI diesels waste 25 percent of the fuel injected (see "Diesel Evolution" elsewhere on this site).

The bottom line: save the propane for the stove and the furnace.

Reply to
351CJ

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:51:15 +0800, ".." snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au> sent into the ether:

Not common, but lots of utilities, large companies and some cities have fleets of propane powered vehicles.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now

Here, there is a large contingent of diesel truck owners. It is the same old, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. In reality, it is Powerstroke vs Duramax vs Cummins. Weekend clubs get together and drag race, do burnout contests, pulling contests, and dyno tests. This happens once a month or more during the spring, summer and fall. Some of these folks have tons of money to pour into their diesel trucks.

In my '99 F350 7.3L Powerstroke Dually, I've broken u-joints, and twisted the yokes on my driveshaft doing such childish things, especially since I rely on it to work when I'm not running my Caterpillar powered dump truck, but man is it fun!

Anyone that says propane injection doesn't improve power obviously has never seen it first hand. I've seen it on the dyno, and in application.

I can't speak about the "economy" of it, no one I know of does it for the "economy" of it. I can't see how it'd be economical, but I can tell you first hand that it makes tons of extra power in a turbo diesel.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You will notice that I never addressed the power issue...

While we are talking about power, have you tried the Six-Gun with Speed-Loader? Talk about tire spinning, neck snapping power, and is a whole lot simpler than screwing around with a propane system.

Reply to
351CJ

I wasn't attacking your post, just saying, really.

I have seen the six gun work with the 6.0 PS, but not with a 7.3 yet. It's awesome in that application with a set of matched injectors.

I've tried the Hypertech Stage III, the Superchips, and now the BullyDog setup with a Banks Billet torque converter. (1640rpm lockup)

I have damaged components in the driveline with each setup, but the Hypertech was the most unruly. (hard to drive) It made the truck almost undriveable in normal everyday driving if you left it on Stage III, and it takes 20 minutes to change programming, sort of a pain.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

ahh ok. Here in australia LPG is readily available and every gas station has a LPG dispenser. Probably about 15-20% of all cars are LPG powered, and it costs about 1/2 of regular fuel. THe only down side is the $2500 conversion cost.

Darren

Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now wrote:

Reply to
woodee