car not warming up

hi there

i have a corsa 95 1.4 and i have noticed that at the moment the engine never gets as warm as it used to, when i first got it it stayed at 90 but now it gets no where near that, and before any one says it is very cold, i bought the car last october and it was just as cold then and it was fine.

I have a feeling it might be the thermostat (is there still one in this model or is it all done by computer?) but is there any thing else i can check?

cheers

Tom

Reply to
tom

No, they still have thermostats and it sounds like you need one! Depending on which engine you have it may be an easy job, or it may be a swine - this from my Nova days where some stats were under the radiator top hose and easy to get at and some where you had to take the s0dding cambelt off to get at it.

Reply to
Scott M

A common problem on Cavaliers was for the temperature sender to get broken off. It sticks out in an exposed place so was easy to knock off. If this happens the gauge moves a little when the electrics are turned on, but then no more.

If the guage moves up a bit in a jam then down a bit on the motorway, don't worry. It is working well. You could bend the needle if it'll make you happy.

Reply to
DP

I had the same thing happen with my corsa. basically with them the guage is scaled very strangely and that small gap between 0 and 90 is stupidly insensitive. I took mine into my dealer a couple of weeks after purchase and they just sat it there with the engine running and checked if the cooling fan kicked in after 10-15 mins, which it did.

In short the gauge is rubbish, so if the engine is running smoothly and the fan is kicking in when its been sat a while, don't worry.

Reply to
manoman