car overheating

my car is using alot of water in the space of 15 mins its overheatin

ive changed the radiator and checked there is no air locks no visabl sign of head gasket as water and oil are not milky any advise would b gratful cheers dav

-- davidchism

Reply to
davidchism

heater matrix leak? (test it by bypassing it before replacing it)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Sounds like it *is* the head gasket - water leaking into one of the bores, but not into the oil. Also, exhaust gas can leak from the bore to the water jacket when running, causing the water to leak from the system due to excessive pressure.

A friend's 1.4 Corsa is doing exactly this - due for a new gasket very soon!

Does the coolant level rise and spill over the top of the tank if left running with the cap off?

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

or you may see bubbles in the water filler tank.

Reply to
bongo

Isnt this fairly normal as the water expands with the heat of the engine warming up? I know mine does it and its HG/coolant system is fine and dandy.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

The message from davidchism contains these words:

What would you expect to see, and where?

Reply to
Guy King

In my experiance it will overflow "slightly" when warm due to expansion. When your head gasket is gone and is it letting exhaust gases into the water jacket it practically pumps it all over the floor. Taking the cap off and running like that is a good get you home (with spare water) if the head gasket has gone.

Reply to
gazzafield

OK thats a fair point, just clearing up what you meant by it really (and got worried lol)

Reply to
Coyoteboy