Car Paint

Once upon a time, in the dim and distant past, there was cellulose.

Much later, there was 2 pack cyanide-based paint which you had to wear an airline respirator to apply.

Then came acrylic finishes. That was during the early to mid 80s IIRC. They were pretty neat as far as I can remember.

Just imagine I've spent the following third of a century in a drunken stupor and kindly tell me what my options are today. I'm guessing it's going to be some sort of water-based stuff which sounds horrific but I admit I'm way behind the times and may be wrong on that score. I'm going to be needing metallics and they need to be formulated for spray application and high quality finish. How do I specify the colour I need and is there a by-post service where I can order by the litre? thanks.

Reply to
Chris

I've got a 3 year old puggy. I had a 206 which was fine but the paint on this one marks if I so much as look at it.

Reply to
Tom

Comes off in the rain, does it? ;)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You can still get Cellulose and Synthetic paint by post but does depend on what colour you need

-
Reply to
Mark

You are behind the times.

Deep pockets are needed when buying by the litre.

Reply to
Andrew

I've noticed the price of a litre of car paint is in the appalling region. I mean 50 quid! What are they thinking?? Are there any economies of scale to this?

Reply to
Chris

No it's the stupid insurance prices. It seems they will pay any price they are quoted.

Last month a BP tanker nudged my car reversing out of a road that has "deep water" signs. It cracked the number plate in 2, distorted the plastic bracket and put 2 small pea sized paint chips in the bumper skin at the bottom corners of the bracket, one of which was hidden by the bracket.

As its a 1993 car the first reaction from my and haulage firms insurance was that it was a write off. Took it to the insurance repair place for assessment. They insisted they had to quote for a re-paint of the whole bumper. The insurance engineer offered me £500, I suspect the quote would have been £1000.

The plastic bracket was online at £100 including post. That was 100 good reasons for me to unbolt it and use a hot air gun for a few seconds. The paint chips were hidden by applying a bit of trim tape. Number plate £10.

What the BP tanker was doing in a 7.5ton weight limit at 10pm on a Sunday night is still unknown.

Under bangernomics rules should I deduct the £490 from the £1400 I paid for the car in 2010?

Reply to
Peter Hill

I've used

for aerosols and touch-up, found them good. think they'll offer advice too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

in the 50's i use to buy litre tins of 'coach paint' that were inexpensive and that i brushed on, to my old motors. It laid on really well and most people never guessed it was brushed on with a good bristle brush. Now i wonder what kind of paint it was? and why it doesn't seem possible to get such a brush on paint now.

Reply to
john west

It will have been full of chemicals!

:-)