Car Repairs

I took our car to the garage to get a clutch problem sorted, turned out to need a new master cylinder. But the next day the garage have called me to say they now cannot get the car to start and the management light is on, they said it was giving a canbus error, they have called today to say it needs two new injectors. I am not very happy about this, they had driven the car to diagnose the clutch problem, and there was no problem, and I have not had any issues with the injectors, it could be a coincidence that they have failed but I really don't think that is the case. Do I have any comeback against the garage?

thanks

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

Only if you can prove they have damaged the car , components fail

Reply to
steve robinson

Two injectors at once? Total injector failure is rare IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that was my thinking, if they said one then yes ok components fail, but two is pushing it IMO, I did wonder if there could be an electrical fault with their diagnostic machine, and maybe that has caused the failures?

Reply to
Vernon
[...]

Mis-fuelling is about the only possibility, or pump failure in a common rail diesel.

Saw a Freelander recently that had all four injectors seized solid, but that was a bit unusual...

There is virtually zero possibility of diagnostic equipment failure causing harm to a vehicle. Either the garage broke something, the garage is scamming you, or more likely you've just been unlucky.

What vehicle, what fuel type, and what sort of garage by the way?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm thinking for two injectors to fail during the work, ie when the engine wasn't running, is pushing coincidence beyond breaking point. That they damaged something, wiring etc, doing the master cyl is far more likely. Proving it of course is a different matter.

In an ideal world, you would pay them for the clutch job, have the car recovered to a main dealer (I'm assuming the work hasn't been done at a main dealer of course) for them to diagnose it, state that the damage was done by the other garage, and then you can have the main dealer repair the damage, after which you reclaim the costs of this, plus hire car etc, fom the first garage.

You do live in an ideal world, don't you?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Unlikely

Reply to
steve robinson

A main dealer would not be able to establish that the other garage damaged the vehicle only that xxx was damaged.

It would be down to the owner of the vehicle to convince a court that the injector problems were the result of the garages neglect not wear and tear .The garage could get an engineers report to challenge the main dealers diagnosis, if the op has the vehicle repaired by the main dealer prior to an independant inspection it may harm any case he has

Reply to
steve robinson