Car's engine underwater.

!! - unexpected drowning of presenters?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nope, never saw that one - but I can see me now trying to find that episode on the net tonight!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'm hoping that my license fee doesn't pay for more than two people to go round the world - cameraman does sound, palin does spiel.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'm afraid I really can't believe that. We are a moral, upstanding, God fearing bunch to a man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've obviously never had the 'pleasure' of trying to sort out the mess (in a dubbing suite) that results from a cameraman attempting to 'do sound' in anything other than the most basic programme. Which Palin most certainly was not. Even if the cameraman has a good basic grounding on how to do it - and most don't - when operating their camera it's impossible to give any attention to sound. Nor does *any* camera have good enough internal electronics to deal adequately with a microphone.

However, you'd make a good junior 'producer' since many think like this at the start. But rarely get asked back after costing the production dear. Unfortunately there seems to be a bottomless supply of these types straight out of uni who 'know' far better than anyone else. They rarely stay long enough to get to know their names...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Questions

( snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I assumed that was general knowledge...?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

What annoys me about producers is that they listen to the programmes on very nice speakers in nice rooms. So for them it's OK to put bits of twiddly music over the speech in a radio play.

However, when you listen to it on a cooking radio in the kitchen with the kids larking about so few words remain audible that the poor sod who recorded it must have steam coming out of his ears from frustration.

Reply to
Guy King

Looks like a Corsa. Got a Corsa badge. I think [1].

-- Peter

"The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

[1] Though I may be wrong. It has been known.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

I was told the abbreviated version. 'No port left' Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Most things to do with boats or ships have their own name. A rope could be either a sheet, line, warp, spring, halliard, topping lift, etc. It all depends on it's application. 'Messing around with boats' requires a completely new vocabulary. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Is a cooking radio one that's much faster than a standard model, then?

Reply to
Ben Blaney

They're also the colours used to identify left and right cables in UK pro audio, and are of the same orientation. Which confuses many, given that red denotes right on most domestic gear. ;-)

I'm amazed there's never been a new world standard for port and starboard colours. Elecrical flexes were change from red live and green earth to brown live and striped green/yellow years ago - and although this was partially due to EU harmonisation, it was also down to approx 30% of males being red/green colour blind - and this shows more under poor visibility. Like at night in fog. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Except on the inland waterways with narrowboats where a rope is a rope and left is left and water is just a wet.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Ben Blaney contains these words:

Nah, it's like cooking sherry - narsty and cheap.

Reply to
Guy King

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How do you have a green/yellow striped light?

Reply to
Adrian

That's because their owners are more weekend motorists driving a boat, rather than real boating individuals. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I find certain types of mushroom best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lol - spent many a long hour in a studio with home-recorded vocal tracks trying hard to make sure I can use them and never meet the vocalist in person...

Yes, indeed... now I think about it there is more to the Palin series than a lavalier and an atmo mic..

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

So - some small amount of sanity left in the world then!

Reply to
Guy King