car wont start - fuel gauge registers zero (flashing) but fuel in there.

Weird. Wife said there was a strange clicking noise when she opened the door and then car wouldnt start.

I had a look and fuel gauge registered none and light was flashing, so I assumed the silly cow had run out of petrol. Put 5 litres in but its still the same. Engine turning over fine.

Is there possibly a sensor or something thats screwed that is telling the engine theres no petrol? Car is a fiat punto.

Reply to
paulfoel

is the car on level ground? have you turned on the ignition for 5 secs or so, then off then repeat a few times to get the fuel through? or is it an entirely unrelated problem such as snapped cam belt (common on small fiats)

Basic diagnostics are the order of the day, has it got a spark, are the plugs wet with fuel, does the cam turn, those sort of things.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

OK. Thanks. RAC are on their way anyway. I just thought it was strange that fuel gauge registered zero.

Reply to
paulfoel

Turns out the fuse box inside the car was flooded with water...

Reply to
paulfoel

so the clicking was maybe the door locks or a relay, another one to add to the memory bank!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yep. Thats right. I ignored it first when the wife said. Shes not happy now that I accused her of running out of petrol !!!!

Reply to
paulfoel