Carb for MK1 Transit

This is a Motorcraft carb but I'm in desperate need of any carb that will fit. I recall this type of carb was pretty generic in it's day, but seems in short supply. Are there any equivalents which might fit the Ford V4 inlet manifold?

Reply to
Fred

A Weber 34ICH IIRC, or a 32/36DFAV,

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I once bought a twin choke nikki carb from one of those womens mail order catalogs for a cortina - but that was about 30 years ago .

Either way , It might be worth a ebay search for nikki carbs as its the sort of thing owners would take off if/when scrapping a transit .

Reply to
Krustov

SteveH

32/36 DGV or 38DGAS as I recall (externally the same). Plenty on fleabay under £40.
Reply to
Conor

Those are both twin choke. my v4 transit had a single choke carb.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

All the ford ones where single choke, all the aftermarket ones twin choke. I suppose the obvious question is why does he want a new carb instead of a new diaphragm?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

because the origional carb is s**te?

Reply to
gazz

they were long before the diaphragm thing, just a plain old solex IIRC, I'll look it up tomorrow IIR

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There is an intermittant fault with the one I had as well as very weak spring for the vacuum dependent main jet. The diaphram for the accelerator pump was fine. I was pretty sure that there is some grit or something embedded in the emulsifier tube. Anyway I've now damaged it so much easier just to replace it.

As Mrcheerful suggests, the carb is a single venturi. Generally Ford standardised on things such I was wondering what other Ford carbs might fit this manifold.

Reply to
Fred

If you can find one in the scrappys I think the boltholes line up with all the smaller carbs, even a 1.6 Sierra.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Many thanks, I've found a listing for a Webber which seems to fit a range of Fords. I'm not sure how much space I've got for the likes of the VV carb. I have the 1.7L V4.

Reply to
Fred

Pintos usually have a twin choke carb. twin choke carbs have 4 bolt fixing, you will need the manifold from a corsair. An original carb from a transit with a pinto would be single choke. The VV carb would be ok space wise and is only two bolt fixing IIRC, or something from the likes of a land rover would be about right. There are single choke webers available which would be fine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many thanks for your help. I wasn't aware that Transit Pinto carbs might also fit, or that they had a single choke.

I don't want to change the manifold, unless I absolutely have to. I've managed to find that the Weber ICH 34 seems to fit a variety of Fords, though with possibly different jetting. At least I can get a jet kit at a later date if I go that way.

I'm not so certain of the footprint of the VV carb and whether it'll clear a couple of hoses coming off the manifold.

Reply to
Fred

The 1.6 Ford Capri Laser comes with a Weber 34 summat or other (ICV??) single choke carburettor. There's a few about given that most people upgrade them to 32/36 DGAV.

Reply to
Conor

I can measure a Land Rover Weber if the OP wants. These tend to be about 75 quid + VAT new.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

First of all I appreciate all the help in this group. In the end, by luck, I managed to find a Corsair carburettor at a breakers.

Also for information, I discovered the VV carb I saw seemed to have a very different mounting arrangement and certainly won't fit. It was for an Escort though.

Many thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

From an old Ford Corsair? When do they last get sold 1972ish?

And which breakers - may be useful if they keeps in parts that old. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It was a lucky shot, there weren't any others of that vintage. For info Twigworth Breakers near Cheltenham.

Reply to
Fred

2.5 miles from Gloucester

Cheltenham is miles away

Tend to keep bits through the banger era into classic era.

Had 3 axles off them over the years, I was going to get some Chrysler 180 discs from them but the calipers I had I could not get seal kits (Sunbeam rear drum to disc conversion)

Harry Buckland near Cheltenham was good too and a lot cheaper

Reply to
Martin