Strange ticking noise in Ka

Does anyone know what might be the cause? My friend's 10 yr old Ka makes a strange fast tick-tick-tick noise from somewhere under the bonnet when it's warmed up. It's always the same speed, independent of road speed or engine rpm, but only appears under load. It's a bit like some ventilation fans I've heard, but it makes the noise when the fan's off.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

Does anyone know what might be the cause? My friend's 10 yr old Ka makes a strange fast tick-tick-tick noise from somewhere under the bonnet when it's warmed up. It's always the same speed, independent of road speed or engine rpm, but only appears under load. It's a bit like some ventilation fans I've heard, but it makes the noise when the fan's off.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

Has your friend run over a crocodile?

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Clock? Bomb??

Reply to
Harry

I'd guess at the fuel pump but I'm not sure where it is in this car. Might be in the petrol tank. Which engine is it?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

10 yo Ka? The only engine then was the 1.3 kent derived pushrod lump. I find it hard to believe its not rev or road speed related. At that age, my money would be on something camshaft related.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes, 1.3. And the noise never changes in speed, just stops when you ease off the throttle. It's done it for years, apparently, so it's no great cause for concern. Just annoying.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

I'll ask.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

The clock seems okay, but where is the bomb usually located on a Ka?

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

Air-con compressor?, if the AC needs re-gassing you'll hear the clutch on the compressor kick-in/out.

Wife's Ka3 used to do this all the time,

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Quick update - depends what you mean by "fast tick-tick-tick", the AC clicks on/off approx 10-seconds cycle.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Deathwatch beetle?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Nail in tyre?

Reply to
Gordon H

No AC. This is a /very/ basic model.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

No AC. This is a /very/ basic model.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

IIRC these have an electric controlled valve in the heater circuit, find it and pull the plug and see if it stops the noise. sometimes the flame trap valve can make clicking noises. Unless of course your noise is pinking?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well, it's about 5 times a second. A rat-tat-tat sound.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

Dead leaf in the heater fan?

Reply to
Gordon H

Where's Peter..?

Reply to
DervMan

It's probably the heater control unit. But if it's five times a second it could be something in the ventilation system.

Does the noise go away when you put the heater to full hot, full cold, or somewhere between the two?

Reply to
DervMan