Cavalier engine swap problem

Background later, so you can skip it if bored :) Basic question is, is the crank in the Vaux Cavalier (around a 1992),

1.8 sohc carb auto lump, the same as the 1.8 sohc inj man lump? As we cannot get the gearbox to mate with the engine, as the torque converter doesn't seem to want to locate far enough into the crank.

Lee

Background; '92 Cavalier 1.8 auto with carb which somehow managed throw a rod... Anyway, couldn't find a carb engine but managed to secure a working injection lump. Swapped the heads and sorted out the timing belt/tensioner/water pump issues - now just have problems with the gearbox as above, and some sensor issues :)

Reply to
Lee

Lee ( snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Dunno about a Chavalier, but normally manual and autobox cranks are different, yes.

It may be as simple as needing to remove an inserted pilot bush, though.

Reply to
Adrian

are you sure the torque converter is right back on the gearbox? they need twisting and supporting and pushing to engage the oil pump drive.

the cranks may be different though yes.

mrc

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the replies. It seems to be, but I didn't take it apart to begin with (I've been roped into helping a neighbour), and don't know how far back it's meant to be when inserted properly. It's about 10mm inside the box face atm.

Hmm, that's what I suspected... I'll let him take the lump out again and I'll check it. Said neighbour says he did already, but I'm not so sure about that :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

10mm back doesn't sound enough, you need to rotate, support and twist the torque converter, all at the same time, you need to get the lump out, take the TC off (mind, it is really heavy) carefully put it back on and rotate till you feel all the internal bits engage and it slips right back. it is really easy to jog it when installing the engine such that it slips off a bit, a bit of bent metal bolted on at an accessible place can hold it back during engine install.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful