cavalier heater

I have 92 1.8i cavalier where the the heater only justs gets slightly warm..the heater fan is working ok anybody got any ideas

Reply to
taggian

Dare I say "They all do that, sir". I had an Astra and a Cav, a "G" and "F" reg respectively, and both barely had a temperature that barely came out of the blue during winter driving. They got up to a better running temperature in warmer weather. There was no problem with head gaskets, thermostats or airlocks. Both were non-cat cars. I later had an "L" reg Cav that ran warmer all the time. That had a cat.

My point is that you may not have a problem.

Reply to
gazzafield

Change the thermostat.

Reply to
Conor

Ditto, simple fault and definitely where you can notice this - only had this recently on the Fiat before we dumped it for a vehicle upgrade.

You will find nowadays a lot of them apparently fail "shut" which is a bnit rubbish....basically this overheats the engine and you lose water, and also lose heat to the heater matrix as a result. Although yours may have stuck "open" - you notice this if its "short" journey and it doesn't warm up. However if you are still driving for a while and its still not warm, then its stuck shut. This limits the size of the cooling system capacity as well of couse.

You need to keep your water topped up to avoid damage, and get it sorted asap. It should be quite cheap to fix, if you get your hands dirty may be less than £20. If you do it yourself DON'T waste money on a cheapo part do go to the dealers for the proper part it's not worth it failing again just cos you used an inferior pattern part (and they do). This goes for Fiat parts mostly etc but could be same with yours depending on the source.

Been there, done that, learn the lesson from it - Dealers are only a small % more expensive on parts in many cases.

Reply to
antonyf

Or leaves and things get into the intake and clog up the matrix. On mine the pipes to the heater are too hot to touch but I still get very little heat.

Reply to
adder1969