CHanged rear discs and pads .. are my discs binding ?

MK4 golf 1.4 2001

Never done the job before but followed the haynes manual.

Not problems with the job, took it for a short drive and no nasty sounds, and braked fine. I wore the coating off the discs and gave it a feel, just to feel what a new discs just peeled felt like. It was quite hot and I was wondering how hot is acceptable ? or if there is a problem ?

I went for a 40 minute drive in town driving as I had some stops to make.

It didn't pull to the side, no squeals, responsive braking.

Just concerned about how hot the discs should be, a guy a know said they should get hot at all? which I said well its going to get hot logically as the friction from the pads will heat it up. SO hes planted the seed of doubt in my head and just wanted some clarification.

The heat level was touchable best described as roughly setting 4 on a standard iron as a rough guide.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter smith

Depends entirely on use. I've seen some glowing in the dark after enthusiastic driving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've missed some words out of your post, e.g. 'not', but I assume your friend said that the discs should not get hot at all. Well, they will. In fact, in some high performance cars they will glow red hot after a hard braking. Many discs have ventilation slots in them to help to cool them.

How did you know your discs were hot? Did you touch them? Have you tried touching discs on another car? Have you considered where the kinetic energy of a car travelling at say 60 mph will go when it's brought to a halt by two surfaces rubbing together? I'm sure your discs are OK.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

It really varies by car. In a mk.2 Golf, at least the ones I've had, they don't seem to do much at all, and barely get warm, ever.

But in general I'd expect them to get pretty warm, and certainly too hot to touch after a spirited drive. Nothing like as hot as the fronts, though.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Peter smith wrote on 18/08/2009 :

As you obviously know, the disks and pads convert the cars kinetic energy, directly into heat, to slow you down. Disks are designed to get red hot/glowing, if used hard.

If you are still unsure - drive the car a few miles, let the car come to a stop without need to use the brakes at all (an up hill section will help) then check the disks. They should all be cold.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield