Scenic rear discs

I have been assigned the job of replacing the rear discs on my daughter's Renault Scenic (1999). Although I'm pretty handy with mechanical things I haven't done this job on this car before. I would be eternally grateful for some pointers from someone who knows.

E.G. Do need a special tool to back off the calliper pistons? When I replace them, will I need to adjust them up, or will they do it by themselves? How does the disc come off? It looks integral with the hub, as far as I can see. Anything else that it would be helpful to know?

Thanks for any help.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Probably similar to the old Golf rear discs - the wheel bearing is pressed into the disc, and that forms the hub. You'll need new bearings to go with your new discs. Bit of a bitch to get in as well.

Handbrake caliper pistons generally need turning back. IME that should be possible without a windback tool, but a windback tool does make it easier. As for adjustment, I think they position themselves correctly when you pump the pedal a couple of times, but the handbrake cable mechanism often needs some model specific fiddling with - the golf ones need to be set up with the cable providing some pull on the handbrake mechanism with the lever fully released, otherwise they never self adjust.

Reply to
Doki

Crikey. Is there no end to the lunacy of some makers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The need for a laptop and software to change pads on some models (Mercedes for one)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Almost anything with an electronic handbrake...

Reply to
Adrian

I suspect it was an afterthought in the development of the MK1 and was continued over to the MK2. The original design was most likely only ever for drums.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks for this, Doki. I now find that the disc comes as part of the hub and has bearings already fitted.

I also note that the discs/hubs (the original ones) have an ABS ring on them but there does not appear to be a device to accept/generate an ABS signal. Shouldn't there be something positioned near the ring to note the hub rotation?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The ABS gear must need to be transferred over.

Reply to
Doki

No, what I mean is that there does not seem to be anything on the axle. The only thing relevant to ABS is the ring, which will be there on the new discs as on the old ones, so won't need transferring, as such..

Rob

Reply to
robgraham
[...]

I think that applies to pretty much anything with an electric handbrake. It certainly does to the Passat.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"robgraham" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, does your particular scenic _have_ ABS?

If not, it may well be that for economy of scale, only ABS disks are available - non-ABS cars just ignore...

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, that had gone through my mind as well! I'll need to check.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks for your help here.

Job done and you may care for some feedback. (Most of you will know all this but it may be useful to someone)

The vehicle DOES have ABS, which I failed to notice originally.

The ABS ring around the hub/disc is known as a reluctor.

The pads had bits of paper stuck on the back, which when removed left a very sticky gunge on the back. The dealers did not know what this was! I made the assumption that it was in place of copper grease.

The pistons wound back very easily with water-pump pliers provided you pushed at the same time.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

the sticky stuff stops squeal. you can buy anti squeal spray on sticky stuff for pads that don't come with it (Wurth used to sell it)

Reply to
Mrcheerful