Changing a radiator

I have developed a leak on the drivers side bottom on my radiator. The car is a MK4 golf 1.6 16v 2001 no air con.

Its a tiny leak so far, but as I rely heavily on my car I don;t want to wait till it gets any worse and leaves me stranded costing a lot more than this repair.

I've had a look in the haynes and just wanted to know if the book of lies is lying :)

Basically:

1)drain coolant ... conviniently there is a drain tap on the passenger side to help.

2) Remove fan conecter, fans can stay on just disconnect

3) Remove grill and front bumper

4) Remove all rad hoses

5) unbolt rad, lift out, spit and curse at it

6) New rad in, hoses back on, connect fans up.

7) front bumper back on, refil with g12 coolant

job done ?

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Forgot to ask should I go for a gsf or eurocar part rad for about £50 or £100 for a genuine part ?

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Yes although the bumper part could be a bt challenging.

Makes little difference.

Reply to
Conor

Just check the qality of the GSF/Euro part. They may offer alternatives, in which case I'd buy the OEM version, which will probably be the same item as the genuine one, but for less. Provided you don't get the cheapest one they offer, GSF/Euro parts are usually very good quality.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Sounds about right. Might be a bit of bleeding, of your knuckles and then the cooling system to do in there.

Your feet will probably get wet at some point too. (c:

I'd buy the genuine part, if its £100 from eurocarparts/gsf. Having mucked about on a 1999 Passat, genuine stuff on VAGs IME is very good quality.

I've had a bad experience with piss-poor quality pattern parts where I had to change a heater matrix twice in the space of a few months.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Strangley ennough i have just got almost exactly the same problem in the same place with my car.

Combo Van 1.6 Petrol/LPG.

For me and for the OP can anyone give a guidline of the approx capacity of our respective cooling systems and in my case is blue coolant the best? It has blue at the moment but that doesnt mean it is what is supposed to be in it!

Can anyone advise me of the bleed points if any for the engine and any other gotchas?

Many Thanks

Reply to
Kipling

Weird coincidence. On my golf there is a bleed tap on the passenger side to drain the coolant into a bowl. Failing that just pop the bottom radiator hose off and stick a bowl under to collect it for disposal, my local garage take stuff like this for free.

My coolant is pink in colour and is called g12 coolant available form vw themselves or eurocar parts, GSF or from what I read halfords spec coolant meets the g12 standard. Its about £6 I think for a bottle and I needed about

2 bottle mixed 50/50 with water when I changed the thermostat last year.

...a tip is to drain the coolant when cold hehe

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Just a note about VW's coolants.

Beware of mixing G11 (blue) with G12 (pink). They'll react together and block the cooling passages. A complete flush is required for the changeover.

G11 is a hybrid silicate coolant, whereas G12 is OAT.

The good news is that they've both been superseded by G12+ (on the purple side of pink, and also OAT). G12+ mixes happily with either G11 or G12.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Thanks for that info John very interesting I did not know there is a was a new g12 + out and that it can work with g11 and g12.

You learn something new everyday :)

...had an afternoon of doing his cv gaiters ... First time doing the cv gaiters, seriously messy job hehe wish I took it to the garage :) ... but satisfying having it done.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges