Changing the seats - Need to inform Insurance ?

Hi,

I am planning to replace my stock cloth seats with leather ones from a local breaker. Does this comes under mod ? Do I need to inform my insurance co. about this ?

Cheers,

Reply to
Prasanta

Anything which deviates from how it was when it left the factory is declarable.

Reply to
Conor

Conor (conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As long as they're standard fit from a higher-spec version of the same model of car, the insurer probably won't care.

If they try to load the premium, it's a good hint about the quality of the insurer....

Reply to
Adrian

They care enough to put higher-spec versions into different insurance groups. I'd notify - would you want your insurance voided just as you make a claim ?

Yes, they're the same as all the rest.

Reply to
John Laird

John Laird ( snipped-for-privacy@laird-towers.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Normally because higher-spec versions would cost more to repair from an accident, due to body colour bumpers, more expensive alloys, extra front fog lights, etc. etc.

If the car's of an age that leather trim can easily be obtained from a scrappy, that'd be far less of a factor.

Didn't say I wouldn't notify...

No, they're the same as all the rest of the call-centre rubbish. Try a real insurance broker. You might be surprised.

Reply to
Adrian

The last 2 real brokers I dealt with were crappy, really crappy. One wouldn't believe that I'd paid my premiums even though I'd filled in the direct debit form in his office. The other "forgot" to send me a reminder (yes I know they don't have to but they all do) so I got 6 points on my licence.

All the call centre places I've dealt with have been good so far.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

That's my experience too. (And I've had claims dealt with satisfactorily as well.) But if I ever start making non-standard mods to my car, I'll bear it in mind. Unlikely though, as my car has everything I need for now.

Reply to
John Laird