Check for Front suspension wear

Front suspension wear - or not

Car due in for MOT in a couple of weeks and I am doing some basic checks as laid out in Haynes manual. Its the only guide that I have - honest :-)

When I checked the front, no sign of any play 12/6 o'clock position. However, there is give in the 9/3 o'clock position.

If I engage steering wheel lock this goes away.

Is this normal?

No sign of any steering wheel play when wheels on ground and no power steering (i.e. engine off)

Reply to
sid

I would recommend you leave the checking to a mechanic or get one to guide you through the relevant procedures.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Procedure seems simply enough, its the outcome I am interested in :-)

Reply to
sid

Front suspension wear would normally be assessed at mot by turning the wheel (hanging free) to the extent of its travel, then attempting to rock at 3 and

9 position while observing movement at the ball and bush joints of the wishbone and the strut. This requires quite a bit of force and some experience to judge well though.

The cost of an mot is so low that if I were you I would not bother, just put it in for a test at somewhere that gives free retests and see what the outcome is.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"mrcheerful >

I tend to agree. Your checks seem fine although often wear won't show up without a big crowbar and the wheels on the ground. Depends what car it is.

Reply to
adder