Chip fat.

Anybody who uses this ng running on "biodiesel" or just straight veggy oil?

Is it a viable proposition for regular motoring or just a hobbyist fad?

Des.

Reply to
Designori

Its a fad which can destroy your engine

Reply to
Tommy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cummins.ie.eu.org (Paul Cummins) contains these words:

It's more a problem with the lubricity not being sufficient for some injector pumps. Apparently.

Reply to
Guy King

"Designori" wrote in message news:cnargt$2aj$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com... : Anybody who uses this ng running on "biodiesel" or just straight veggy oil? : : Is it a viable proposition for regular motoring or just a hobbyist fad? : : Des. : : : : :

Joker7

The message from "ivan" contains these words:

Rudolf never invented the DLP did he?

Reply to
Guy King

All I know Guy, is that he had a very shiny nose.

Reply to
ivan

It might wreck the tank, the pump or the fuel pipe - it won't damage the actual engine.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Oh, I see. You've decided to restrict the term "engine" to just the block/head and their contents then? Very convenient!

Still, let's take your definition and also assume that the rest of the engine* will survive long enough to get coal dust into the combustion chambers. How will the bores, rings and valve faces react to all that grit?

Cheers,

Colin.

*Sorry, I meant non-engine engine support components.
Reply to
Colin Stamp

that 'grit' will be long since burned before the bores or valve faces touch the by-products.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

[Frantically googles for "DLP projection"]

Yup. I didn't say they had *nothing* in common (phew).

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Hmmm... 'Course it will - absolutely all of it. Silly me :o)

Then there's all that pesky abrasive coal ash...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

During the summer my son-in-law who was staying at a caravan site observed some Germans filling up the tank on their shiny newish looking Volkswagen diesel camper van with vegetable oil, which they had obviously purchased from a local supermarket, it apparently appeared to start and run fine.

Reply to
ivan

If it really is chip fat it will set solid when cold too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a bit like the abrasive PM10 dust from regular diesel fumes then...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

AFAIK chip shops use oil, same as most people do for deep fat frying. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

There are several states in the US where car makers won't sell diesels due to their poor fuel. Plenty of examples of poor fuel damaging all types of modern engines. Sulphur in petrol and Nikasil bores. Unleaded wrecking fuel pumps and seals designed for leaded - as well as valve seats.

You want to try crap in your car - carry on. Could be a very expensive mistake.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shame you share the name of a very famous diesel engine manufacturer yet don't share even a slight bit of that knowledge.

Reply to
Conor

Only those with no taste. If you're going to fry food, do it right.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did around a thousand miles in my L series with veg oil in the tank with no adverse sideeffect. Seemed to run fine, maybe slightly down on power, but that might have been my imagination. Cold days would make it harder to start and stall more easy until it warmed up, due to the thickness of the oil I imagine.

Seeing as this motor is pretty robust and worth f*ck all, there wasn't much of a risk to my experimenting. I wouldn't be in rush to chuck it in a brand new diesel though. Sourcing enough oil and getting it in the tank (At least

25 litres a week) without looking dodgy, not to mention worring if any passing CrapHats would catch the faint whiff of donuts coming from the exhaust, it just became more trouble than it was worth.

Still, it they keep taking the piss by raising fuel prices every other day like at the moment, maybe it'll be worth another look....

Reply to
Delgardo

That's down to EPA regs though, they'd have to fit a second tank the size of the main one to collect the water that gets seperated by the filter .

Reply to
DuncanWood