Cit ZX 1.9D nearside driveshaft boot split

As subject, I perused my HBOL on how to remove driveshaft. Only thing different I can see to the way I'd do it is undo the driveshaft retaining bolt while the car is still on the ground. Must remember to drain the gearbox, that's the sort of thing I forget :-) Any gotchas that I will curse over when I'm at the point of no return?

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Make sure you've got the correct socket for the hub nut, and also a torque wrench capable of the high torque values required on reassembly.

JB

Reply to
JB

"JB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I was going to use the time honoured method of leaning on a scaffold pole for that bit.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

If it is the outer boot then most drive shafts allow boot changing without removing the shaft, and on many you don't need to undo the hub nut.

Something like a Vauxhall , you can undo the bottom joint, release the cv circlip and push the outer joint off the shaft, wheel and everything still on, change the boot and slide it all back together, a pro will take about 15 minutes on one that goes well.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"mrcheerful ." wrote in news:g3Ggg.80912$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

That would be nice, but it's the inner boot and it's french, so I'm expecting all sorts of crap raining on me, in a manner of speaking.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I thought it was more like jumping from a ladder onto a scaffold pole repeatedly, with lots of stones in your pockets.

Those things are *tight*.

Reply to
PC Paul

"PC Paul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

Actually, on reflection, you description is more correct. Going to the local Halfrauds to buy yet another lifetime guarantee t-bar and socket is probably on the cards too.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

"PC Paul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

On further reflection, I can remember doing a Maestro front hub and finding I was too light to bear down on the scaffold bar. I ended up reversing the direction to an upwards pull and lifting the front off the axle stand and doing a sort of reverse clean and jerk on it before it came loose. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The message from Stuart Gray contains these words:

Ah, no, to get that you need a Clio with a sunroof.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Stuart Gray contains these words:

Most people can lift more than they weigh, so short of jumping up and down on the bar pulling up will usually be more effectivel.

Reply to
Guy King