Citroen AX carb replacement questions

Hello. I've recently replaced the carb on my AX, a Solex 32 PBISA 16. It's running very nicely now -- much smoother, and no intermittent stalling. (The old carb was utterly filthy, and the choke pull-down diaphragm turned out to be burst, among other problems). However, a couple of things perplex me:

1) The jets in the new carb are different sizes from the jets in the old one. Is this just a consequence of the march of technology/emission control (the old carb was 14 years old), or should I be concerned? 2) The new carb has an extra diaphragm bolted onto the side of it, which looks as though it ought to act as a throttle damper (i.e. it should prevent the throttle from snapping shut). Its connecting pipe has a red plastic collar round it, but isn't connected to anything. At the back of the throttle body is another connecting pipe, with a green collar on it, and a black blanking plug on the end. This pipe emerges to a slot under the throttle flap. I initially assumed that these were supposed to be connected together, but doing so causes the throttle to be held open permanently, rather than closing slowly, so I guess they're not.

I've checked the Haynes carb book, without any luck. (Just to confuse matters, it lists yet a third set of jet sizes as being correct, and doesn't mention the damper at all.)

Any ideas?

Thanks, James

Reply to
James Lothian
[snip]

I'm always a bit wary about taking Haynes measurements and tolerances as gospel as I've heard several stories about manufacturers sending them 'doctored' vehicles to protect their own service manuals. Admittedly this was with motorbikes, but I dare say it's happened with cars too.

As to your carb questions. If its working fine I'd leave it.

Mate of mine had a problem with his Volvo last week. It turned out to be the plugs, but he caled me up in a panic with the full story "ran rough...loss of power...checked battery...checked fuel...then I dismantled carb" Doh!

Robert

Reply to
Robert Richards

It is very likely that a replacement late carb would be jetted slightly differently, jets differ by small amounts by country, by year, by phase of the moon etc. So ignore that if it runs well. The pipes you have almost certainly are meant to go to temperature controlled valves. You will need to find another AX in a breakers and see where they are and how they connect. Sometimes when I have had similar problems I have cruised Tesco car park looking for the same model, when the owner returns I ask to look under the bonnet !

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful