Clio Brake Pads

I've said I'll change the pads for my mate tomorrow. It's a 1.1 or 1.2 Y-reg Clio. Will I need any special tools? Does anyone have any handy hints? apart from "don't, it's going to piss down"

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It's a 1.2 :-)

Reply to
DanB

Erm....

Don't. It's going to snow.

Reply to
SteveH

Tools, errm.. no. But you might need more parts.

When I got mine last year some cowboy had had a go at the front brakes and used an oversized spanner to hold the sliding nuts in place while undoing the caliper bolt/s. Doing that they managed to fold the flange on the bolt over so far that they pierced the rubber bellows and over time the sliding nut didn't as its innards slowly filled with rust. Cost me another day and an extra 2 hours to try to clean it up and get it working again before I could get the repacement parts (needed the car for work the next day).

Grrr, cowboy mechanics!

Mind you I thought I was going to have to replace pads and flush the system because the brakes felt so iffy (did get the car cheap though). Since changing the slider bolts I can now stop the car on a sixpence so that saved me a lot of hassle: of flushing brake fluid.

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Get a rewind tool makes the job that bit easier and a good investment for future brake work.

Don't forgot a bit of anti squeal\copper slip on the back of the pads :)

Oh yes don't forget to pump the brakes a few times before testing it.

No other handy info as have never done anything on a clio.

Reply to
maxi

No, me neither. I've serviced it a couple of times for her and visibly checked the pads, but not actually removed them. Most of my brake work recently has been on Capris,front handbrake Saabs and front handbrake Citroens. All easy when you know how. Without the Haynes book , the first time I did the Saab front pads it was weird!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P