Question on changing disc brake pads on rear of Jetta

I'm attempting to change the disc brake pads on the rear of the wife's 2000 Jetta. I'm turning the piston clockwise while applying pressure, but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Am I missing something or do I need one of those special tools to apply mechanical pressure while rotating? If so, where do I get it? Sorry if there was a previous post on this, I didn't even look. By the way, I'll be doing the front brakes next. I'd appreciate any tips, tricks, or lessons learned. Thanks and have a nice day.

Reply to
Joe B

R Canas

||I'm attempting to change the disc brake pads on the rear of the wife's 2000 ||Jetta. I'm turning the piston clockwise while applying pressure, but don't ||seem to be getting anywhere. Am I missing something or do I need one of ||those special tools to apply mechanical pressure while rotating? If so, ||where do I get it? Sorry if there was a previous post on this, I didn't ||even look. By the way, I'll be doing the front brakes next. I'd appreciate ||any tips, tricks, or lessons learned. Thanks and have a nice day.

I did our 2000 NB last fall. Even with the special tool, the right rear was a bitch. If wrestled with that twice on Saturday, gave it up, and went back at it Sunday AM. It screwed right in. I didn't do anything different. Go figure.

But you do need the tool. Looks like a 1-inch cube with a different pattern on each face. One of those faces fits your VW, another fits my RX7 etc. In the middle of each face is a 3/8" drive female square drive, for a ratchet & extension. Costs about $10.00 Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

When I did my jetta rear brakes I had a problem even with the tool. I think I let them go too long and they actually totally unscrewed. So they had to be started back on. Once they were started they went right on in.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I bought exactly that tool for the work I was just doing on my 86 Jetta. Perhaps VW has changed its ways but I had to Dremel off one of the pin sets on the tool so it would fit my calipers, none of the ones it had matched out of the box. Also it's cheap metal so don't let it slip off too much or you might wear down the tool before you finish the job.

Good day, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Stokes