Clio II - Track Rod End replacement

I'm trying to remove the nut which secures the track rod balljoint to the hub.

I've undone it, or at least I thought I had, but it just keeps turning.

Has it broken off inside ? What do I do next if it has ?

Reply to
Paul S

Usually you need to keep the balljoint and rod compressed so that the nut can be removed. If you're replacing it then you can simply cut it off.

Reply to
adder1969

The taper between the balljoint and steering arm has separated before the nut has undone. It's only friction that holds it in place. If the ball joint is under the steering arm a second jack - used gently - will push it back into place enough to provide the friction required to remove the nut

- unless it's rusted solid. If on top of the steering arm, a G clamp may work. If it is rusted solid either use a nut splitter if the TRE is to be reused, or saw or drill it off if not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks adder and Dave.

Jacking it worked, but when the nut got to the top of the thread, the threaded section started turning again, as the thread must have been damaged.

I had to cut through the thread, but that was easier than cutting through the nut as well.

Reply to
Paul S

Usually when this happens don't try and force it but slacken and tighten the nut a bit at a time - several goes should clean up the thread enough to get it off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes copious spraying with WD40 to soften the muck whilst doing this also helps.

Reply to
Conor