Removing my track rod end!

I have a very old and rusty car I am working on, I can't get the damage

track rod end off the steering rack. i have loosened the nut on th steering rack that fits flush with the track rod end....It however i still solid! Any idea?

-- canveystveve

Reply to
canveystveve

Have you got an angle grinder? It's usually the ball joint that refuses to shift, but sounds like you're talking about the other end. So I'd try carefully cutting a slot down the length of it just deep enough to reach the thread but not deep enough to damage it. You may well find that the heat and vibration loosen it before you get as far as the thread anyway.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'm assuming you mean you can't unscrew the track rod out of the joint on the end of it, rather than remove the pin of the ball joint from the steering arm. Have you removed the track rod end from the steering arm? If so, put it back on, and use a stillsons or mole wrench on the track rod to undo it. What kind of car is it? Are you aware that it may be left or right hand thread?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Clamp the rack with something (if it has a couple of flats get a sturdy spanenr on it, otherwise maybe a hand vice or damned good moles), and get a spanner or whatever on the rod end to unwind it.

I had one that didn't want to shift, but as it was on a rack I'd removed I could simply get the whole thing wedged tightly in a bench vice, made life much much easier.

Reply to
Stuffed

Also heat helps - get a good blowtorch on the rack (the internally threaded bit) and as it heats it will hopefully expand enough to crack the corrosion thats making it stick.

Coyoteboy

Yeah...do as I did and ditch the whole rack as well. Chances are that=20 the rack isn't in the best condition and recon manual racks are usually=20 under =A330 with track rod ends being under a tenner.=20

I was in the same situation with my Capri. For =A334 I can replace the=20 rack and both track rod ends in my Capri - it's a no brainer. =20

--=20 Conor

"No trilogy should have more than four books" - Arthur C. Clarke

Reply to
Conor

Crikey, presume thats not power steering? Mines nigh on 300 quid, 200 recon!

Reply to
Coyoteboy