how long should a track rod end last

just had car in for mot,was suprised to hear it had failed on off/side track rod end when it had failed on the off/side track rod end on the two previous years mots.is there any length of time a TRE should last, the car has only done 10000 miles since it was replaced for last years mot

Reply to
tj

so had it actually failed - joint sloppy? if you don't know, then there's a good chance you're ideal pickings for a shop that wants to create work for themselves.

Reply to
jim beam

Is this on the rear of one of the infamous tire eating impalas?

Reply to
bob urz

I doubt it, likely not worth the expense to import one of those into GB when they have better handling cars already available through normal channels!

But yes, to get an educated opinion, please let us know what vehicle you're referring to. It may or may not have a known issue with rapid wear of certain parts. Also are you using OEM or aftermarket (I believe you'd call it "pattern" in GB) replacements, and if aftermarket, what brand?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Are you spekin englesh??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I think that is in fact English English - MoT = Ministry of Transport (annual inspection)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK, that being said what the hell is a "off/side track rod end"? I have owned British cars for years and have never heard of them. To reply to this message please remove the AT after the kgs1 in the reply to address.

Quote of the Times;

If voting changed anything, they?d make it illegal. (Emma Goldman)

Reply to
KG

Off side - The side opposite the driver Track rod - Track bar, Panhard bar End - Either a bushing surrounded by rubber or possible a true spherical rod end if it's a performance car.

BUT since we don't know the vehicle being discussed or how it is driven the question is a lot like asking how many MPG should I get?

Reply to
Steve W.

24
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"Steve W." wrote in news:kl173l$vre$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

In Britain, "offside" refers to the side opposite the CURB, not the driver.

Offside in Britain is the RIGHT side of the car as viewed from the driver's seat, which would be the passenger side in the US.

The side closest to the curb ("kerb" in Brit-speak) is called the nearside.

In Britain, a "track rod" is what we call a "tie rod". Track rod ends are the same thing as what we call tie rod ends.

Reply to
Tegger

Correct, The side OPPOSITE the driver as viewed in the US. Didn't want to explain the wrong side driving of the Brits.

Hmm, not according to a few of my British friends.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in news:kl2aus$9e2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's correct according to the British car magazines I read for a couple of decades.

Reply to
Tegger

Not a problem. I'm just going by folks who talk to me.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for all that, I wondered about it too. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thank to all for their responses, it is now clear as MUD to me. kg