Clips

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Doki decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Perceived quality, Mr Doki, perceived quality. If you can't see the screw heads, your car must be built better than ones where you /can/ see the screw heads.

All a load of bollocks if you ask me. The old Rover P6s used to have exposed screwheads and they were built rather nicely if you ask me. The fact they put little bits of felt behind some of them on the dashboard to stop rattles said a lot more for quality and refinement than a load of wonky phillips screw heads being visible.

Ooooh, I hate those. Ever seen a Mercedes V12 without the covers on? Look like they were built by Daewoo on a bad day.

Jaguar used to make an engine look like an engine should.

Reply to
Pete M

Can anyone explain to me the point of bloody clips. Why are bits of interior trim held on by countless (and usually fragile) clips these days, when trim was previously attached perfectly well by screws. And why on earth do people insist on covering and hiding every screwhead?

I'd better stop typing now, or I'll start on those plastic engine covers you get on new cars.

Reply to
Doki

Perceived quality VS actual quality - my 20 year old Volvo rattled less than my 4 year old Ka after the door cards had been on and off.

Nope.

Definately. The rocker cover on the AJ6 looks like it weighs half a tonne.

Reply to
Doki

If you use clips, you can get some brain-dead moron to work in the factory, and say to him " push that in there until it goes click" Saves having to teach him every day which end of a screwdriver to use.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat