Clutch Going?

Hi All

In my '98 Escort I am getting a high pitch squeling noise at bite point if I give too much gas before I fully release the clutch... so at traffic lights etc when you pull away faster than normal, when you change gear and release the clutch and then put on the gas at bite, there is a high pitch squel.

The amount of noise varies depending on the amount of revs etc.

Its the same type of noise that you would expect if the water pump was on the way out, which I assume its not as it only does it when at bite and at no other times.

Someone suggested it was the thrust bearing on the clutch, but before I got to the local clutch place and they will say it is even though it aint, I thought I would ask on here first.

Any help would be appreicated.

Karl

PS - I have noticed some clutch Judder, but I was wandering if this was the same problem.

Reply to
Karl

It's not the alternator belt, is it? I assume that you know what that sounds like when it's slipping but you never know.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

I doubt if it is the release bearing (Not "thrust bearing") , the release bearing when worn will make the same noise in neutral as it will when pulling away in gear. Try depressing the clutch in neutral to the same point as you do when pulling away and playing with the engine speed, if you cannot make the noise you are talking about then it's not the release bearing. You also mention judder which can be caused by several things, the only one you can probably check yourself is the bolts securing the g/box to engine. It is fairly common for them to be loose which is worth checking.

Reply to
Fred

No, That was loose a few weeks back after having a new Alternator fitted and it not being tightened enough and meant that the battery wasnt charging as it was slipping.

Thanks for the post though...

Karl

Reply to
Karl

Well, when I release the clutch at bit, the engine speed seems to differ and therefore makes a slightly different noise, but I thought that was something to do with the automatic choke?!

Anyway, It does not make that noise at any other time than if the car has high revs and at that point.

I think it will be easier to have someone standing under the hood while I try to get it to do it and then go from that.

Thanks for the reply though... I will see what I can find out.

Karl

"Fred" > point if I give too much gas before I fully release the clutch... so

Reply to
Karl

"Fred" also mention judder which can be caused by several things, the only one you

Doesn't the release bearing press agianst the pressure disc when the clutch is depressed? i.e. a bad bearing will be noisy when the clutch is down not up. Soudns to me like a belt slipping. I've nver hear dof engine to gearbox bolts becoming loose but bad enigne or gearbaox rubber mountings (to the chassis/bodywork) can make a car judder.

Reply to
adder

Thanks, Ill check all the mountings etc and go from there.

Reply to
Karl