clutch or gearbox ...HELP

can anyone help me i have a Renault grand scenic diesel 06 plate 6 speed gearbox and i cant get it into gear, so i have had to leave it at the side of the road until i can arrange a tow i stopped at the traffic lights put it in neutral and that was it i cant select any gears even if i turn the engine off and try it wont go in the pedal seems lighter than usual but i think its a hydraulic clutch can anyone help with an idea whats wrong so i can budget for a repair not what i needed this time of year thanks to any replies and merry Christmas

Reply to
rafdegaf

Most likely the clutch.

Reply to
Conor

If you can't get gears when the engine is switched off, then it is UNLIKELY to be the clutch.

A possible cause is one of the gear selector links, or even worse, the selectors in the gearbox...

Reply to
NT

If it's the clutch it'll make a bloody awfull noise when the engines running & you try & engage reverse. Or any other gear if you push hard

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No synchro on reverse? Thought that unusual these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are sure you cannot select any gears with the engine off, then sounds like a gearbox fault to me.

Could be a selector or cable fault too (sure the clutch feels light?) the little r-clips that secure the outter cable on Megan's are a known fly-off-without-warning item.

Given it's a Renault, then really anything is possible...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Even with the synchro it still crunches horribly if the clutch is stuck.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sounds like a gear selector or remote linkages if the gearlever will not go in, even with engine off. Could be selectors inside gearbox or if lucky, linkages between the gearlever and box.

Reply to
Mark

How can he engage reverse? He said he can't move the gearlever.

Reply to
Mark

I can't see how a faulty clutch could make it impossible to select a gear

*without* the engine running.
Reply to
Mark

He said he can't select a gear. If he can't move the gear lever then the linkage is broken, but it's perfectly possible to be able to move the lever & not be able to select a gear.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Can't in my Mondeo without effort and the gearbox is OK...

Reply to
Conor

Yawn...as I said before, you hadn't actually asked me.

So as you now have..pack it with vaseline as any fool knows. You can use gear oil but vaseline works better.

Reply to
Conor

'06? Isn't it still under warranty?

Reply to
DervMan

Did you? I wouldn't know as I didn't bother reading any more of your worthless detritus in that thread.

I actually posted my answer before I'd got down as far as Dave Plowmans post. But you'll probably decide that I'm lying about that as well as it is more comforting to you than admitting a lorry driver knows more than you.

Whatever, f****it.

Reply to
Conor

So how come you are replying here then, again you prove that you are a worthless liar...

Stop talking about yourself.

Face it Conor, by your own admission, you are a failed grease monkey...

Reply to
Jerry

Yawn.

Reply to
Conor

I do wonder what sort of person replies to a 10 year old post...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A conker? Seems like a good description to me.

Reply to
Peter Hill

A 10 year old?

Tim