Re: Ping Conor the LIAR: Still awaiting your answer...

Still waiting for the answer Conor to that oh so simple question - how

> to prime a Rover V8 oil pump - simple, standard, service stuff for an > ex LR dealer mechanic - so either put up or f*ck off...

I'm surprised you don't already know this. You pack it with petroleum jelly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And.............? Next step?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Or if you haven't got any then you just fill it up down the centre hole of the oil pump with a squeezy bottle. Where fill it up means keep squezzing till you're sure the air bublles have come out with the oil you've dripped. Of course if you're a LR dealership you actually do it by starting the engine, & if the guage moves not worrying about it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Fit it to the engine and start it up. AFAIK it's the recommended method. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

Nope, there is another step that is really important on one of those.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Two seconds with google suggests vaseline is one of several equally acceptable ways to prime the pump on a Rover v8.

Reply to
Adrian

no problem with some form of grease in the pump, next step is?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Are you referring to fitting the filter, and reconnecting the pressure switch? I would have thought doing those goes without saying. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

no, I am assuming that basic fitting onto the engine has all been done, including oil coolers, pressure switches and junk like that. I mean the next step, after you put oil in and before you try and start it. that has probably clued you up.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Put the baseplate back on the oilpump. Apart from that nothing.

Reply to
Conor

Spin the engine over and check pressure builds up. What imaginary made up step do you think there is?

Reply to
Conor

According to the manufacturers Rover SD1 w/s manual, (which I have) there is nothing else. Just looked it up to make sure.

Have you got some more recent info? Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

Perhaps it is one of those tricks that mechanics know that is not in the manual, I cannot remember reading it, but it is some while since I delved into rover v8s and their manuals.

It is something that lots of mechanics know about, I have even seen it on tv and at race tracks, so it isn't just my knowledge.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

one that you don't know of, evidently, but I did rather suspect that, having read your posts in the past.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Are you talking about something obvious like prefilling the new filter with oil?

Or something unusual like running the pump with a drill to prime the pipes as well as the pump?

Reply to
PCPaul

you got it, run up pressure with a drill before fitting the dizzy, I wouldn't call it unusual amongst people that work on those engines a lot. joe average doesn't do it, I agree. but people that care and don't want to run an end , especially with high performance builds in drag racing and the like can be seen doing this in the workshop and in the pits, probably needed more with big oil coolers as well. used to be done on essex v6s too. could be done on pintos as well. anything with that quill drive to the pump, always change the quill too, the ends used to round off on v6s (happened to me) especially, I expect rover v8 does too, I never had a rover one fail , but I did change them at refresh time.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

So your failure to post it is indicative of there not actually being one.

Reply to
Conor

...which you can't do on the later engines.

Reply to
Conor

Difficult to actually fill on the Rover V8, as the filter is almost horizontal.

Can't do that, as there are no exterior pipes. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

I always used early engines as the formula dictated carbs, so I am not up on post 94 engines.

Reply to
Mrcheerful