Cold Starting Problem

Hello again group...

In response to previous thread, I've replaced HT leads, spark plugs, air filter and PCV valve on my 1999 Escort petrol. I've noticed that this hasn't cured the cold starting problem - if I don't tickle the accelerator when starting the car from cold (eg after sitting overnight) then it wont start, rev counter wont shoot up, it just dies. It's got a new ford battery too, so electricity isn't the problem.

I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet, not got the right size hex bolt, but surely replacing that isn't going to magically make this symptom vanish? I read on this group from a poster called 'sandy nuts' that if I replace the ISCV and do an ECU reset this will stop any cold starting problems. I don't find pressing the accelerator a problem when starting, but would like to know if the fact I must do this from a long standing cold start means there is a problem which should be rectified. Could it be an air leak also? I am not going to replace a £90 ISCV/IACV (depending on which acronym you prefer) just to fix this if it's not required, the car has no other dodgy idling symptoms, but I really thought all the new components mentioned above along with an ECU reset would cure any cold starting issues.

Thanks again (directed at Chris Whelan most likley, seems the guy is a Ford guru...)

Rajko

Reply to
Rajko

Try cleaning the valve.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

This was done a year ago at a garage, who also cleaned the entire throttle-body area amongst other things to fix a dodgy idling issue...

Reply to
Rajko

About due to redo it then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Perhaps, but no idling issues otherwise. I'm sceptical if everything is otherwise fine that this could be the cause of the engine not firing properly (or generally starting) after being left in the damp rain overnight. I thought it would more likely be a fuelling issue, as depressing the accelerator during starting from cold/damp means it fires, so perhaps the fuel filter would make a difference after all. Still, I'm sure when I fit it it'll make nowt difference.

Reply to
Rajko

There's not a fuel leak anywhere is there? An air leak does cause closed throttle problems as it'll suck in more air than it needs, which is especially a problem when cold.

Reply to
adder1969

I dread those two words. How would I search for an air leak? I've heard of people spraying wd40 and having a look to see if any bubbles form...but that sounds like a degree of luck is involved and could be potentially very labourious as there's plenty of small rubber tubing floating about the place...

Reply to
Rajko

Other way round, if the WD40 (or unlit gas torch) gets near the leak it's sucked in & causes the revs to rise. By definition this only works because it's flammable but it's fairly easy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood