Coolant change 205?

I've got a 205 on a Y that I bought nearly a year back. It is in exceptional condition and I've changed all the oil and filters. It's running sweet as a nut.

2 questions:- 1 does the power steering fluid ever have to be changed and if so can I do this myself?

Also how frequently does the radiator coolant need changing and am I with a basic knowledge of cars likely to run into any problems if I do this myself?

The car has 48k on the clock, verified.

Thanks

Reply to
Whatever happened

It never 'has' to be changed. In this application the hydraulic oil doesn't deteriorate with time. The only time it usually gets changed is if the rack, pump, hoses etc, need to be replaced.

If it's a routine service requirement, the service schedule for the car wil tell you the intervals between changes. IMO, if the coolant is clear and there are no overheating problems, I'd be inclined to leave it until there were. The only problems you might have if you DIY, is one of the air that can get into the system when it's refilled. Some systems need to be bled in a systematic way to remove it all. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

IIRC from other Pugs that we've owned it is a two yearly change but that's based on 10k miles a year. With a lot of Pugs and Citroens you need to molish a header tank to fit into the filler cap to raise the fluid high enough to be able to bleed it properly. Not having owned a 205 I don't know if that applies in this case. Haynes will tell you if it's necessary.

Incidently I think the bleed caps are the same as tyre valve caps BICBW. A standard tyre pump fitted when I had to try to pressurise a 106 radiator a couple of years back.

Reply to
malc

If it's the blue stuff then that does not last as long as the orange stuff. Blue stuff might not have enougth frost protection after 5 years. Red / orange stuff is 10 years I think ( well the ford stuff is anyway !) I think you are meant to test the density of antifreeze with one of those special tools.. however if in doubt I would flush it all out and replace it. I replaced mine when I did the water pump, so maybe if a timing belt/ water pump change is on the books you can leave it till then ?

Simon

Reply to
mr p