Corolla Remote Programming

Hi Guys

I have just bought the mother in law a 2002 Toyota Corolla (last of the old shape ones model ZZE111).

The car has been stood with a flat battery for a while and while it starts and runs etc the remote key fob does not open the door.

I have replaced the battery (car and fob) and searched the net but I cannot get the car into the mode where I can program the key with it. The instructions I have found involve putting the key in then out, then opening and closing doors, repeat etc etc but this does not work for me and I wonder if this is for the newer Corollas.

Any ideas please anyone (short of throwing lots of money at the dealer).

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

(remove nospam to reply)

Reply to
Paul Edwards

autodata list a sequence for that exact model, it is very complex. if you post what you have tried I will check your list in case a step is missed or somesuch

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful used his keyboard to write :

Thanks MrCheerful.

I have tried

start with drivers door unlocked and open

  1. Insert key twice in 5 secs (do not turn)
  2. Open and close door twice in 40 secs
  3. Insert key and remove in 5 secs
  4. Open and close door twice
  5. Insert key into ignition
  6. Close door
  7. Turn key on and off either once or twice depending on what you want to do. (doors should lock and unlock automatically to indicate in correct mode)
  8. Press open and close buttons simultaneously for 1.5 secs
  9. Press close button for 2 secs.(if successful doors will lock and unlock once or twice if unsuccessful).
  10. End by opening drivers door.

I have also seen other instructions based on locking and unlocking the drivers door via the interio switch 5 times (amoungst many other variations on this).

It appears different Toyota have different variations on the theme to do this I think I just need to find the right one.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards

there are a couple of tiny variations in there which would mean it probably wouldn't work, I have added my notes in capitals to make it obvious which bits are not the same as my list

CLOSE DOOR

Good luck !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Guy's you've both missed a crucial last stage to this: You put your left leg in Your left leg out In, out, in, out, shake it all about. You do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around That's what it's all about...

Reply to
Redwood

when do you sacrifice the goat? it is a complex sequence compared to other makes, but at least it can be done without a special programming box.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful has brought this to us :

Thanks Mrcheerful

Fixed it, hoorah!

After going through the process a few times I noticed the interior light was not working so it probably did not know that the door was open.

Turned out a fuse had blown and once replaced, it all worked again.

Also sorted another issue I was having with it.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Paul Edwards

well spotted!! I'll remember that as a question to ask if something similar comes up again.

Reply to
Mrcheerful