corsa braking problem

my sons 93 corsa will not stop unless you stand on the brakes, its had new flexi pipes all round,shoes are adjusted to just touching the drums, no leaks in rear cylinder, sliders on the front are clean and the caliper slides, pistons are not binding. it feels like the servo is not working but you put your foot on the pedal and start the engine and the pedal goes down, let it run and then switch off and the pedal pumps up . The system has been bled twice and the pedal is firm .Could it be that the servo is not working at full potential or the vacume pipe valve is faulty, or is it a master cylinder problem, any help appreciated

Reply to
martin

Several issues could be the problem here.

The one thing you've not mentioned is, are the pads free in their slides? Most poor brake problems are due to the actual pads being seized in the calipers.

Also, are the brake discs in good condition?

If that's ok, then the rear brake adjustment is quite critical on these. The handbrake should come up 4-5 clicks, with the cable and adjusters correctly adjusted. The handbrake levers on the shoes should be back against there stops with all play adjusted out the cable. With the cable adjusted correctly, the adjusters should then be adjusted until the handbrake moves

4-5 clicks (in an ideal world, the brake adjuster should work automatically and keep the brake adjustment within tolerance, but they very rarely work). Over adjusting the rear brakes, causes a poor handbrake (all to do with the angle of the shoe levers), and can cause issues with the foot brake (again, the brake pedal lever not getting to the ideal angle).

Next thing after that I'd be suspecting is some poor quality pads, which aren't biting aswell as they should.

Reply to
moray

thanks for the reply, the sliders are fine, the caliper moves freely, the pads are not seized in the calipers, all the contact points have a thin smeer of copper grease . the handbrake is fine (4 clicks) and will lock the rear wheels when applied on the road. I suppose it could be the pads but it just feels like the servo not working (like the car is being towed with the engine off and you apply the brakes) I will purchase a new set of pads this week and try that.

Reply to
martin

if the pads are new it can take 100 miles to bed in , did any copper slip get on the pads

Reply to
Steve Robinson

The pads are not new but i will replace them this week just in case they are of the wrong type (recently purchased the car so i'm not sure if they are correct) and they are clean. Looks like i will have to start replacing bits (servo, master cylinder, vacuum pipe) it still feels to me as the servo is not working properly

Reply to
martin