Corsa diesel alternator again - removing the bugger!

Many thanks for all the replies to my previous post - I've had the alternator tested & it certainly seems to be knackered (either that or a dodgy earth) - and I've also found someone local who has a good reputation for reconditioning alternators for not much money.

I started on removing the guilty component today - fortunately my father has a workshop which is, apart from 13mm spanners, well-equipped and I was able to access the alternator easily from underneath his hoist. I have removed the bolt which allows adjustment of tension against the alternator-belt, and the oil & air hoses to the vacuum-pump.

The alternator now swings freely on it's bottom pivot, but removing the bolts from this does not seem to free it. This thread says there's a single bolt through the bottom of the alternator, but that does not seem to be the case on my

1996 model. I have removed two bolts, one from each side, but these seem to sit in something like a hollow pin, which is still retaining the alternator. Can anyone tell me how to free this, please..?

I'll take a digital camera when I return to my Dad's shed tomorrow, so if I haven't sussed it out by tomorrow I'll be able to illustrate the problem then, but I'd really like to be able to drop the alternator in for repair on Monday morning, so if anyone has any pointers they'd be much appreciated.

Stroller.

Reply to
Stroller

There is a bolt from each end of the alternator, there are no trick bits to fool you. Since I did one of these a week ago and still have the old unit around it is easy to know what the problem is. The tubular part is meant to be a tight but slidable fit in the alternator, it is there to allow for slight variations in bracket geometry and heat expansion. It is either rusted to the bracket or has been loose so long that it has worn a hole into the bracket or has been viciously overtightened and forced into the bracket. Give the alternator a tap towards the drivers side (which should slide the little tube into the alternator, if you are lucky this will release it all anyway. If unlucky repeat and wriggle the alternator till it comes off.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The bolts usually go through tubes, which are a sliding fit in the lugs on he alternator. This means when the bolts are tightened, the tubes will be pulled tight against the brackets on the block, and will remain there after you take the bolts out. To free it, try tapping the alternator side to side, along its axis, which should free the tubes off and allow it to come away.

Reply to
SimonJ

Duh! Many thanks.

A tap with an 'ammer freed it. Appreciate your help.

Stroller.

Reply to
Stroller