costco oil

Hi,

I saw that costco were selling big drums of oil for about £40. I can't remember the brand, sorry, nor the size: I think they were 20L or may be 25L. There was a 5w-30 for petrol and 10w-40 for diesels.

Does anyone know whether these are good? The price seemed nice, though being costco it would of course be ex vat.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

they sell chevron oil, nothing wrong with it, depends really on what your vehicle is as to whether it is perfectly suitable or not. I keep about half a dozen oils in stock and have the costco drums for general use.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Your local main dealership will supply the correct grade of oil - often cheaper than Halfords and CostCo. Modern cars shouldn't use much, if any. My diesel is 5 years old now and never uses a drop of oil between services each year. I have never bought any for it and do check it each week! Your main dealership is cheaper for most parts and lubricants/fluids than a shop selling pattern parts or equivalent fluids for a few pence less.

Reply to
John Veldman

5w30 will destroy an older petrol engine made for 10w40. You can get away with the 5w on startup but the 30 won't be up to M-way trips.

Most people buying 5L+ are doing their own oil changes not just top ups.

Can't see how you get a cost saving by using Main dealers. They will charge for the whole 1L even if they only put 1/2L in from a 25 L drum.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It's the idiot morphing again, he's too stupid to have worked out that 1L of oil from the main dealer that cost 1/2 as much as 5l from anywhere else isn't cheaper.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There's a reason we can spot the moment the idiot changes to a new name.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't think I have ever read such inaccurate tosh...

Kev

Reply to
Ret.