VW Engine oil

Hi guys Engine oil needs topping up again on our 56 plate gti. The car is on the long life service routine so needs the appropriate oil. My question is, do we HAVE to buy the oil from VW? Is there a cheaper alternative to the VW oil? Anything available from Halfords or any other retailer?

Thanks

Reply to
Slider

I expect GSF sell it

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Don't think so. Just had a look through their catalogue and there is no mention of Long Life service oil.

Reply to
Slider

Early or late 2005? It should say in the manual which it needs but vw

507.00 isn't difficult to find, shell helix ultra vx, castrol longlife etc.

Duncan Wood

Reply to
Slider

September, 56 plate.

Reply to
Slider

507.00 then IIRC. So any of those in the above link.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Cheers, just out of interest, what is the difference between 504.00 and

507.00 ?
Reply to
Slider

I think it's just DPF compatible, all the oils I've seen have been certified to both.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They do sell it though. They do the full Fuchs range.

Check which atandard you car needs (VW 506.1? 507.1?). GSF or Halfords will have some. IIRC Castrol Edge of one kind or another will do it.

Chris Bartram

Went down to Halfords, £15.49 for Castrol Edge 5W-30. Went to my local VW dealers and got it for £13. Saw another thread from last year where is was on sale in Costco for £11 inc vat for 3 x 1 litres! Went and had a look but they have since stopped selling it.

Reply to
Slider

3.00

Couldn't resist.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

For future reference, Audi dealers sell the same oil £1 cheaper than VW. Also comes with a filling kit which includes a paper funnel, a couple of cloths and a pair of gloves. Guess I'll be going to Audi next time.

Reply to
Slider
+AD4- Don't think so. Just had a look through their catalogue and there is no +AD4- mention of Long Life service oil.

Check the Fuchs oils site, GSF stock the whole range (so I believe).

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)